Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 3rd January 2011, 23:27

Marcel Hogenhuis will become famous soon enough
ORB 106 Sqd.RAF

Hello,

Who can help me with the ORB page of 106 Sqd.RAF for the evening of 20 December 1942 when RAF Bomber Command attacked Duisburg? I am especially interested in their bomb load, time over target and altitude of dropping their bombs.

Many thanks in advance for any info that might shed light on this affair.

Happy New Year! Marcel Hogenhuis / Venlo
Old 4th January 2011, 12:16

MW Giles is on a distinguished road
Re: ORB 106 Sqd.RAF

12 aircraft took off between 17:40 and 18:05 hrs.

One returned early. One failed to return

Ten claim to have bombed the target from 9,500 to 15,000 ft, but the time of bombing is not given. Bomb load - eight a/c had 14 SBC (4lb) and two 4 x 1000lb GP + 10 SBC (4lb). The bombloads are not given for the early return or the aircraft which failed to return.

Landing took place between 22:00 and 23:15 for the ten that bombed

Hope this helps

Regards

Martin
Old 4th January 2011, 17:23

Dear Martin,

Many thanks for giving these important details: your info reveals an error in the Group Orders where it was reported that 61 and 106 squadron did sent 11 aircraft in total > this must have been a typo and should be read as 21 aircraft !

If it is not to much trouble for you, may I modestly ask - if possible - for the aircraft serials (and their individual fuselage codes) behind these already useful statistics ? I am preparing an overview of all aircraft involved in this raid with the following data:

Ser.no | Callsign | bombload | time over target | altitude of bombing

I am aware (and confirmed by your information) that most ORB's do hardly report ALL wanted data, sometimes details about the bomb load is missing, sometimes we have the altitude/bearing of bombing but not the actual time of dropping. That's OK but the more the blanks of those 5 wanted data can be filled, the better.

When it saves you a lot of writing, a simple low resolution (but readable) scan of that ORB page would be much appreciated! If you are able/willing to send this: marcelhogenhuis@gmail.com

If not, your info has helped a lot and I want to thank you for this fast and most interesting reply !

All the best and a Happy New Year, Marcel Hogenhuis / Venlo
Old 4th January 2011, 23:41

alain charpentier is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I have this:
from 106 sq:
F/O G Cooke, Lanc R5677, 17h40 to 23h05
Good visibility,target seen visually.Made bombing run at 9500ft,target in sights,but results not seen owing to fires and searchlights.
Opposition was surprisingly light.Successful attack.Bomb load:
14xSBC(4lb) 1260x4lb incendiaries.

From the Navigator of this crew P/O PBC Moore:
"Before we went to Duisberg on our first operation, we were briefed for a raid on Steltin, which was cancelled at the last moment due to weather over the target.
Guy Gibson ended his briefing as follows:
He described in detail how he would do the trip to Steltin and back and he finished with the words: And the boys who do it my way will come back, and those that don't,won't!
he couldn't lead his squadron on a night bombing raid, but this was his way of giving leadership. I was very impressed and I can still hear his words ringing in my ears ."

Sgt Page Lanc W4261, 17h40 to 23h15
No clouds slight haze.Outline of river Rhine clearly seen and bombing run made from there.
Incendiaries observed to ignite but position not noted .Many searchlights but they were not very effective and there was not much flak.

F/Sgt L Burpee Lanc R5637 17h45 to 23h25
Good visibility identified target visualy after having first seen river.Bombed from 11000ft but own bomb burst not distinguished.Opposition not very heavy although aircraft was damaged by splinters and navigator slightly wounded.

P/O G P Lace Lanc W4156 17h45 to 23h25
Visibility good slight haze,cloud at 16000ft.target located visually and bombed from 12000ft but results not observed.Made reco of target at completion of raid which appeared to be quite successful.Opposition not very heavy.

Sgt V G Hayward Lanc W4242 17h40 to 20h15
Mission abandoned owing to engine failure.

Sgt G R Anderson Lanc R5697 17h50 to ....
Missing

Twelve aircraft were detailed to attack Duisburg.
Weather was good and in excellent moonlight visibility details of the target clearly seen.
Ten aircraft made an attack and the crews claim that their bombs fell on or near the aiming point.
One photographof the aiming point was secured and in addition two pictures within two miles. Opposition was less heavy than might have been expected over such a target but one aircraft was missing, the squadron first loss since 16th october 1942.

Hope that help !

Alain
Old 6th January 2011, 12:23

Hello Alain,

This is most useful and never before I got a reply from so far a distance !
Summarizing your information:
Of the 12 sent, one was lost (R 5697) and one returned early (W 4242) and from the 10 Lancasters, we now know 5 Lancs with serial numbers and further details. That's a wonderful addition, thanks for that.

In combination with the other information provided in this thread I am progressing well. If you should come across the other 5 Lancasters of 106 Sqd. I am most grateful to know those identities too.

My 'to do' list for the National Archives has shrinked to a bearable amount of copying now.

Is Burpee the same as the famous Dambuster pilot from May 1943 ?

All the best from a cold Venlo/the Netherlands,

Marcel
Old 6th January 2011, 13:13

alain charpentier is on a distinguished road

Hello Marcel !

Unfortunately I have only this part of the archive, and yes it is well Lou Burpee mentionned in Guy Gibson book, and who was was in the famous Dams Buster !!

with all the sun from the pacific !!

Alain.
Old 6th January 2011, 13:52

Hello Alain,

No problem and thanks for sharing this info with me!

All the best for this new year, best regards,

Marcel