Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 17th April 2008, 16:36
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: A/C Crash Site in Spain (Sierra Nevada, possibly post WW2)

FrankieS
I do not know if this will help, but the crash was in Spain too, but it seems a bit too far away...Found it those days and remembered of your thread here...It sounds different:
"41-9016 crashed at 0225 December 6th 1943 in Mount Paní, Spain. The exact hour comes from the Bulova of one of the crew members, which was found stopped at that precise time. The crew list is: 2nd Lt. Earl Richard Clement (O-524 977) 2nd Lt. Robert Murray Ryan (O-731 671) 2nd Lt. Harvey Julian Hanson (O-732 727) 2nd Lt. John Albert MacDonald (O-732 641) 2nd Lt. Pheley, John Kemp (O-854 201) Corp. Christian Jean Becht (32-417836) T/Sgt. Thayer Todd Turman (17-044 922) S/Sgt. Fred Clanton (38-223 515) T/Sgt. James Theodore Thomas(18-134 027) S/Sgt. Guy Edward Schof (33-236 869) S/Sgt. Leonard Lable Rosenburg (20-745 625) S/Sgt. John Louis Scala (32-389 401) I hope this helps. best regards, Javier [signature] "
Old 17th April 2008, 20:15
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough

Adriano,

As I understand it, Mt. Pani is near the town of Cadaques, which in turn is in NE Spain near the French border. Indeed a very, very long way from the Sierra Nevada...
B-17E "41-9016" was of 68th Recon Group.

C-124 still is best candidate given location.

Regards,

Leendert
Old 18th April 2008, 00:28

FrankieS is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the continuing responses...

No, Mt. Pani is definitely a long distance away from my site.
Also, meanwhile I've got a response from USAF (see below).
Here are the approximate geo coordinates of my crash site. 'Approximate' because I didn't have GPS with me and figured them out on GOOGLE EARTH.
Should be in this range:
N 37º 02‘ 48‘‘ / W 03º 19‘ 09‘‘ to
N 37º 02‘ 25‘‘ / W 03º 18‘ 50‘‘ (marked by 2 red A/C on the attached Google Earth screen print)

I also examined some debris and opened up an olive painted cylindrical object (servo?, instrument?)
to find inside a motor with following inscription:
Inertia Motor
Type No 2ET-123-M2
Ser No 18606
John Oster Mfg Co, Racine, Wisconsin

Meanwhile I also received a pdf.file by courtesy of USAF HQ AFSC/JAR concerning (my?) C-124 crash.
It says that C124C 52-980 en-route from Moron Air Base to San Javier Airbase crashed at
N 37º 05‘ 30‘‘ / W 03º 18‘ 18‘‘ (= N 3705.5 W 0318.3)
‘killing a crew of 8.
This geo location is quite a distance - some 3.5 miles to the North - the crash site I found. Strange ...
bye,
FrankieS
Old 18th April 2008, 00:53

Debris

here some photos of recovered debris:
Old 29th June 2008, 18:52

Michel Lozares is on a distinguished road

Hi Frankie and all

Michel Lozares, from Spain, new in the group.
I have seen your message about Sierra Nevada´s crash site. I know well this mountains and I have been three times in the crash site that you found located in the south slope of Mt.Mulhacen.

In this mountain area crashed two aircrafts during 60´s:
-UTA´s DC-6B registered F-BHMS (Msn / c/n: 44062 / 384) on 2 Oct 1964
http://aviation-safety.net/photos/di...&vnr=1&kind=PC

-USAF C-124C Globemaster II (s/n: 52-0980) on 12 Feb 1966
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1202172&r=y

Few time ago I knew by a question of Roberto Pla (I see a member of the group) the existence of the C-124 crash site. I requested to Kirtland AFB the mishap report, that placed the crash site (as you say) 3-4 milles to the north of "our" crash-site (yes, strange ¡¡¡)

Before that, I always supposed that this was the DC-6 crash site, althought I knew that this aircraft really crashed near to the Mt. Alcazaba top, in the Tajos del Goteron. Then I supposed that the DC-6 first impact in this site ans later crashed on the Mulhacen south slope...strange too ¡¡¡

It´s sure that in Tajos del Goteron there are some remains, as an engine and a wheel, more a lot of little parts.

Then, the question is: Are the remains of the Mulhacen´s slope from the DC-6 or the C-124 ?

I see you have the C-124 oficial crash site coordenates.
If you change N 37º 05´ 30´´ for N 37º 02´30´´, we can placed the C-124 crash site in "our" crash site in the Mulhacen slopes. Perhaps an erratum in the mishap report ?

I have attached a google earth image placing the crash sites and three pics of the remains that I found in the Mulhacen slope. Anyone could identify them as C-124 parts?. See the wheel size ¡¡¡, perhaps too large for to belong to a DC-6 ?, and the door..perhaps is the C-124 emergency exit situated in the middle fuselage, next to the wings.
But, why these blue and yellow colours?. The UTA DC-6 had a Blue/yellow line along the fuselage. In resume...a mistery

In a pair of weeks I´ll go to Tajos del Goteron for to found the remains, so I´ll can to get more details.

At the moment I suppose that the oficial C-124 crash site coordenates are wrong and the remains of the Mulhacen slope ("our crash site") belong to this bird.

Best wishes
Michel
Old 29th June 2008, 19:08

Hi !

Since I found that pilot jacket with the USAF emblem
it should not be the DC-6 (which flew for a private company).
Also a bit above the debris area there still can be found
one bigger olive green USAF suit, which I didnt have the time
to examine further. Was anyway the first hint that something happened
there, I first thought it to be an old skiing drag.

Bye, good luck,
FrankieS
Old 30th June 2008, 23:08

Michel Lozares is on a distinguished road

Hi Frankie

Just today I received the civil accident report of the DC-6 from CIAIAC :
http://www.fomento.es/MFOM/LANG_CAST...AC/default.htm

The crash site was located next to Alcazaba. The report doesnt mention other second crash site. So the remains of the Mt. Mulhacen slope belong to the C-124. It´s sure that the coordenates of the USAF mishap report are wrong.

By the way, also, near Mulhacen, crashed a american aircraft on 1960. I don´t have any info yet, but crashed in the Mt. Picon de Jerez (the last Sierra Nevada´s 3000m peak to the east).

All the best
Michel
Old 5th November 2010, 23:03

diconito is on a distinguished road

hi all!
the co-pilot in the DOUGLAS DC-6 was my grandfather ,is it-that someone would know if there are still remnants of the plane for don't confused with the C-124.
Thanks all.
Bye
Old 4th January 2011, 00:48

rescuepilot is on a distinguished road

I just came across this site and would like to share this information. On 12 Feb 1966, the date of the C-124 (52-0980) crash, I was stationed at Moron Air Base, Seville, Spain in the 67th Rescue Squadron and was notified that a C-124 disappeared on a flight from Moron AB to Palomares, Spain in bad thunderstorms. The C-124 was part of the mission to recover 4 hydrogen bombs dropped just off Palomares when a B-52 and a KC-135 collided during air refueling.
http://wapedia.mobi/en/1966_Palomares_B-52_crash

We were scrambled to search for the missing C-124 and eventually found the wreckage on Mt Mulhacen in the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range. The C-124 hit just below the peak and most if not all the wreckage went on over and was scattered down the other side. If he had been just fifty feet higher, he would have made it.
Old 5th January 2011, 17:25

How was all the debris big parts removed ?
By Helicopter?

bye,
FrankieS