Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 12th November 2013, 23:07

atckyrre is an unknown quantity at this point
New Ju188 picture from Forus raises a question

Recently a new picture emerged of a Ju188, possibly of KG66, at Forus, Norway in 1945. While the camouflage of the plane is intriguing, there is a little feature of the aircraft that I would like to discuss.
Is that a fairing on the lower starboard nose area, or is it just a coincidental shadow caused by the camouflage technique combined with the picture/scan quality?
The photographer, Bjarne Gullichsen, was a Norwegian, from Egersund. While the original does not belong to me I have communicated with the original poster about using the picture for research.
The picture is cropped from the original.
Old 12th November 2013, 23:57
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road
Re: New Ju188 picture from Forus raises a question

Hi Kyrre,
Highly interesting photo anyways. Appears not conclusive to me, and I see no special feature on this one. Not even a radar set. Likely just paint as shape looks normal to me. Maybe it was the (one) left there of I/KG 66, but other D-2 were there too.*

One is listed to 1.(F)/120 - And this appears the one in background - and one D-2 belonging to to Reserve. Two other Ju 188 of I/KG 66 aircraft that landed there, possibly were flown out again (before 10.05.45.), yet listings suggest two more Ju 188 were supposed be there.
*One another of 1.(F)/120 and one another from Reserve (i.e. two each). I have seen photo of the two ex-120 machines, both with codes painted out, so these could be them same as listed to Reserve.
-Ed
Old 13th November 2013, 08:51

atckyrre is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, Ed. Appologies for not showing the rest of the aircraft, I'll prepare a smaller copy to upload. In any case, the paint job is consistent with the typical KG66 camo of the day, with rather densely overpainted fuselage, including the swastika. I don't recall having seen any 1./(f)120-machines painted similarily.
Anyway, as you say, the possible illusion of some fairing on the lower fuselage could very well be created by the various features of the camuflage, combined with shadows and a high contrast photo.
Old 14th November 2013, 14:12

markjsheppard is an unknown quantity at this point

Was trying to work out if it was the shadow from the prop?

Mark