Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 1st September 2022, 18:23
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: "The Cactus Air Force: Air War over Guadalcanal" by Eric Hammel & Thomas McKelvey Cleaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Yes! 100% agree!

You've touched on another thing about his WW II Pacific books (at least the ones I've read) that disappoints me - there's nothing new in them. No new info, no new perspectives or analysis, etc. Simply a regurgitation of the same stuff that's already been published many times in the past.

As an example, Cleaver's book on Rabaul - Under the Southern Cross I think it was called - offered nothing new at all on the subject. Very disappointing. Based on his track record I can't imagine this book on the Cactus Air Force will have anything new or anything from the Japanese side.

Now when the first book in the new series by Michael Claringbould on the Solomons comes out (not long now!) I'll get it immediately...
Yes Steve
Michael's books are extremely good!! Have them all.
With regard to Cleaver and the Pacific War, I have to admit I have very few books at all on the topic,
meaning I am not very well "equipped" to make any judgement, but writing anything today without
showing the other side of the coin is very disappointing indeed, so I am doing just like you, pass this one
over!
Cheers
Stig
Old 1st September 2022, 23:26

Felix C is on a distinguished road
Re: "The Cactus Air Force: Air War over Guadalcanal" by Eric Hammel & Thomas McKelvey Cleaver

Eric Hammel passed in August 2020. He did write a number of oral history based books regarding the aerial warfare in the ETO/PTO. Plus other conflicts. He is very well regarded in terms of presenting eyewitness experiences.
Never heard of the other fellow.
Old 3rd September 2022, 20:56

NickM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Yes! 100% agree!

Now when the first book in the new series by Michael Claringbould on the Solomons comes out (not long now!) I'll get it immediately...

I JUST saw it on Amazon & I can hardly wait for it to be released. On the other hand, it seem the ongoing series for Papua New Guinea and the South Pacific will see the next volumes take a bit longer to be completed with the new project seemingly taking the forefront.
Old 4th September 2022, 02:47

bearoutwest is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
I JUST saw it on Amazon & I can hardly wait for it to be released. On the other hand, it seem the ongoing series for Papua New Guinea and the South Pacific will see the next volumes take a bit longer to be completed with the new project seemingly taking the forefront.
Nick,
South Pacific Air War (which covers PNG and SW Pacific) has reached Volume 5, and has reach a conclusion point (well, at least for now).

The beauty of the project was the coverage of the air war in the South Pacific in a holistic manner. It viewed the battles over Port Moresby, along Kokoda Track and Milne Bay, not as individual incidents but covers the effect of each on the other, as a component of the eventual outcome.

One significant factor in the outcome of these battles, was the effect of Guadalcanal, and the way it shifted the Japanese focus and resources away from PNG. This is discussed in the South Pacific Air War volumes, and now a "spin-off"series will cover Guadalcanal in greater depth.

I'm also very much looking forward to it - book 1 is expected later this year.
Here's the link to the Avonmore Books website:
https://avonmorebooks.com.au/?page=2

(I'm not associated with Avonmore books, just a regular purchaser.)

Regards,
...geoff
Old 4th September 2022, 20:10

NickM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearoutwest View Post
Nick,
South Pacific Air War (which covers PNG and SW Pacific) has reached Volume 5, and has reach a conclusion point (well, at least for now).

The beauty of the project was the coverage of the air war in the South Pacific in a holistic manner. It viewed the battles over Port Moresby, along Kokoda Track and Milne Bay, not as individual incidents but covers the effect of each on the other, as a component of the eventual outcome.

One significant factor in the outcome of these battles, was the effect of Guadalcanal, and the way it shifted the Japanese focus and resources away from PNG. This is discussed in the South Pacific Air War volumes, and now a "spin-off"series will cover Guadalcanal in greater depth.

I'm also very much looking forward to it - book 1 is expected later this year.
Here's the link to the Avonmore Books website:
https://avonmorebooks.com.au/?page=2

(I'm not associated with Avonmore books, just a regular purchaser.)

Regards,
...geoff

OK; I was hoping that we'd get a volume 6 (and onwards) that would cover the takeover of responsibility by the Imperial Japanese Army Airforce, and their battles against the Allies.

And don't worry, I'm gonna grab those new books as soon as they come out, too!