Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 10th December 2016, 14:08

KM1957 is on a distinguished road
Frank Glover 362nd Fighter Group

I have a bit of a mystery regarding Lt. Frank Glover of the 378th Fighter Squadron, 362nd Fighter Group. MACR 6484 shows date of his loss is June 30, 1944 and the witness statement by Lt. Kelgard is dated 2 July. However, on Glover's Escape & Evasion report (#792) he lists the date of his loss as 16 July, which I believe is incorrect. Other papers in this report mention date of writing the report and being signed as 28 July, another spot in the same report uses 28 June. The order sending him to London to meet with the interviewers is dated 27 June. Lastly, Mogin's Maulers lists him as MIA on 17 June.

I believe his date of loss is 17 June, but would like to confirm if possible. On Kelgard's report, it does not mention Glover by name, so I am wondering if perhaps the report written is not for Glover at all. His details of the loss differ from what Glover himself wrote (in my opinion). The fact Kelgard did not write his witness statement until 2 July doesn't make sense, either, as those were usually written within a day or two, not two weeks after the fact. I also believe Glover was back in England before 2 July. No other 362nd losses, though, match the 2 July date for Kelgard's report. Lt. Boughton went down on June 30 and his MACR was written by Capt. Cline. I am open to any further details anyone may have. Thank you.

Kent
Old 10th December 2016, 15:13
Alter Hase

RSwank is on a distinguished road
Re: Frank Glover 362nd Fighter Group

Odd case. For those who have an interest, the E&E report for Glover is here (free access):

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/5555432

The MACR (for those with fold3.com access) starts here. Today access is marked as free (perhaps because of Peal Harbor anniversary, access will be free though weekend):

https://www.fold3.com/image/28991055

His description of being picked up by 101st AB paratroopers near Carentan on what would be June 19th? would seem to fit a June 17th loss date.

You might be interested in reading this. The account is about two different E&Es, one is Glover's. To my way of reading the account, both started with losses on June 17th. The accounts start about 1/3 of the way down the page, with the words "On June 17th". He narrates the 1st E&E and then, to my reading, jumps back to June 17th and picks up Glover's account.

https://obscureco.wordpress.com/tag/robert-mckee/

Last edited by RSwank; 10th December 2016 at 15:55.