Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 24th March 2015, 15:41

ChristianK is on a distinguished road
Nice photo find - German planes captured by British Paratroopers

The attached pics plus some more can be found here: www.pegasusarchive.org/varsity/frames.htm

These two Fw 190 F-9s with flame dampers (440382 "10" and ?????? "11") are already known, but can someone tell me anything about the identity of Fw 190 "KT+UO"? I can't find this Stammkennzeichen block in my references.

Also: What are the installations on the wing leading edges of the attached Bf 109? Cameras?

Cheers,
Christian

Last edited by ChristianK; 3rd February 2021 at 12:42.
Old 24th March 2015, 17:38
Alter Hase

ouidjat is on a distinguished road
Re: Nice photo find - German planes captured by British Paratroopers

Hello Christian,

Wonderful find! Here is the first photo - expired eBay auction, October 2011 - we already got!

Last edited by ouidjat; 11th April 2015 at 18:17.
Old 24th March 2015, 18:25

ChrisS is on a distinguished road

Thank you Christian, there is also a Ju 88 and Me 262 on the same website all found by British Paratroops

Regards
Chris
Old 24th March 2015, 18:27
Alter Hase

Same source:
Then... I believe - we already talked about it times ago - it's one of the first MG108 trials for future Bf109K-6.
Look at K-6 mock-up photo, look at the leading edge and look at the same leading edge curves (yellow arrows) on actual picture ..

StKz ??+EM or ??+LM.

Regards, Franck.

Last edited by ouidjat; 11th April 2015 at 18:17.
Old 24th March 2015, 20:44

veltro is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry Franck, but I don't think those are MK 108 structures, or for any other weapon.

IMHO, the "mouth" of the structure is far too smooth and devoid of any visible support to receive a bolted-on part to let us think that a barrel and its cap could be placed there.

Also, the shape of the structure extends also above the wing, whereas the mock-up of the MK 108 nacelle is protuding only below the wing.

Last but not least, the whole frontal part of the mock-up seems to me a lot rounder.

This for why it doesn't seems a weapon to me; to determine what it could be it's all another matter... my wild guess is that those could be aerodinamic enclosures for photo or cine cameras.

Always IMHO, of course.

Ferdinando D'Amico
Old 24th March 2015, 21:58

Martin388 is on a distinguished road

As far as I can see this is definitely not a Bf109K-6 but very likely a G-6. There seem to be a Stammkenzeichen applied xx+EM or LM visible. This would be likely for a weapon test bed aircraft. It could be a trail for an integration of a Bordrakete BR into the wing structure in order to reduce the drag from external racks for e.g. BR21.

Is there an indication for the location where this photo has been taken?

Martin
Old 24th March 2015, 22:08
Alter Hase

Dear Ferdinando,

These are your thoughts. Technical details between this and that aren't that important when we don't know what's the matter.

Can be more rounded, can be less rounded as well. What I said is the gun tubes have been removed.

Place seems to be Luneburg which is very close to weapon test plane at E-Stelle Travemünde.
Last known cameras to be put on Bf109G and K-4 were BSK 16 (or something like that) And fairings were quite different than what we are discovering down there.

Best and friendly regards, Franck.
Old 24th March 2015, 22:14

ChristianK is on a distinguished road

@Martin: For this exact photo a location is not given, but many other airfield photos from this website (i.e. the 6th Airborne Divison) were taken at Lüneburg. This must not mean anything, though, as the 6th Airborne passed through the whole of northern and northwestern Germany...
Old 24th March 2015, 23:07
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin388 View Post
As far as I can see this is definitely not a Bf109K-6 but very likely a G-6. There seem to be a Stammkenzeichen applied xx+EM or LM visible. This would be likely for a weapon test bed aircraft. It could be a trail for an integration of a Bordrakete BR into the wing structure in order to reduce the drag from external racks for e.g. BR21.

Is there an indication for the location where this photo has been taken?

Martin
No one said it was a K-6.
Old 24th March 2015, 23:09
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianK View Post
@Martin: For this exact photo a location is not given, but many other airfield photos from this website (i.e. the 6th Airborne Divison) were taken at Lüneburg. This must not mean anything, though, as the 6th Airborne passed through the whole of northern and northwestern Germany...
Under the photo it is writen "Probably taken at Luneberg Heath, Germany, late April 1945".