Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

View Poll Results: Would you buy an English edition of the new JG 2 Unit History?
Yes, I would even pre-pay the English edition 27 20.77%
Yes, I would even pre-order the English edition 27 20.77%
Yes, I would buy the English edition. 71 54.62%
Yes, but I would buy a French or German edition if need be. 12 9.23%
I have no preference for English over French or German 6 4.62%
I would prefer a German language edition. 8 6.15%
None of the above options will do, but .... (post your comment) 7 5.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15th April 2008, 01:11

Skyraider3D is on a distinguished road
Re: A new JG 26 Chronicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Mombeeck View Post
The poll does not move now any more, this shows 50 guys on this very specialized forum who would purchase a copy.
Having spent many years on aviation forums, I think 50 votes on a poll is actually very good going. Keep in mind that the topic of this subject doesn't reflect the poll, and having posted here earlier I hadn't even noticed the addition of the poll until now. For me, 50 positive poll votes seems rather hopeful actually. It doesn't reflect that of this board 50 people will buy it, but more that of the people following this thread, 50 are interested. That's good going in my opinion - and I'm not saying this because I badly want this book!

Maybe make a new, dedicated poll thread in the Luftwaffe forum (many regulars hardly ever look here), with appropriate title and ask Ruy to make it a sticky for awhile?

Old 17th April 2008, 13:04
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

Skyraider is correct. For some reason, these kind of polls tend to generate very low response. I think there was a questionnaire for RRHT members some time ago. Less than 1% of the membership responded!
Old 30th November 2008, 18:46

Erik Mombeeck is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I am very pleased to be able to tell you that the English translation of Volume 1 of our JG 2 history entitled 'In the Skies of France' is currently at the printers and will be available early next year.
We are fervently hoping that our printer will be able to create as superb a book as our recently released French-language Vol 2 in this series. In terms of printing quality (not to mention content) this particular volume is probably the best publication we have created thus far.
Best regards
Erik
Old 30th November 2008, 22:58

Skyraider3D is on a distinguished road

Great news, Erik! Thanks for keeping us updated!

Old 18th January 2009, 17:07

Erik Mombeeck is on a distinguished road
Re: A new JG 26 Chronicle? --- the end ??

Hello,

First of all, a very big thank to Ruy for having placed this poll, and thanks to all who voted. This gave me a clear idea of what I could wait in case of self-publication of a JG chronicle in English.

I am very glad to say that this project is now in front of us: I received the JG 2 vol 1 (English version) and I can tell you that the book is very well printed, I can only be satisfied.
I am now waiting for the first samples of JG 4 vol. 1. Here too, I am waiting with impatience to see if these so amazing photos are printed like I want. I trust that it will be the case.

The thread was started with the question: a new chronicle on JG 26? The question remains entire: the text for a first volume is done, the photo selection (about 400-500) is completed.
Let's see how JG 2 and JG 4 work and we shall decide if we launch or not this new JG 26 series.
In all case, you can find more details on our publications on www.luftwaffe.be where we also propose several hundreds of old books - often un-findable elsewhere - for a very low price.

If you helped me with your vote in this poll and maybe want to be kept informed of the release of the books and the conditions, feel free to send me an e-mail at erik.mombeeck/a/telenet.be.

Best regards Erik
Old 15th January 2015, 22:56

taitbb is on a distinguished road

Well, we seem to have over 100 folks interested in the English edition.

I hope we will also be able to see the 2nd and 3rd (and subsequent) volumes of JG2 in English.
I have the 1st volume and it is superlative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Mombeeck View Post
hello,

To me it is a surprise that these books have such limited runs in the first place, I always thought in higher numbers (thousands and not hundreds).

Yes Ruy, unfortunately, we are speaking more about hundreds than thousands, even for an English edition. The poll does not move now any more, this shows 50 guys on this very specialized forum who would purchase a copy. The market is indeed, very small.
best regards

Erik
Old 16th August 2016, 04:08

aquarya is on a distinguished road

Hi, Erik,

I might suggest that the English versions would do better if released before the German and French, instead of the other way around. For the JG 2 books, I have them both in French and German, and have completely translated what I needed into English already. But I would have really appreciated having the English version first, because it took so much time to translate. Thanks!

Heather
Old 7th May 2017, 07:12

Milos Gazdic is on a distinguished road

Dear Erik et al

I am sorry for joining this discussion late... but as an owner of most if not all of the Erik's books in English and some in German & even French (which I do not understand at all)...

As a person who worked in graphic design (and in publishing as a freelancer) and being interested in all these German things with wings in WWII that you guys research in such a detail, I can tell that there are few ways to go:

1) Publishing in one language (I guess English being the most universal) and then issuing additional book that would feature no photos but only translated texts as either: 1a) softcover books which will be cheap to print or 2b) pdf files which will be less interested to people to copy & distribute since there will be no photos in it. It will be harder to follow but still easier than translating with the dictionary.

2) Publishing on demand. Basically all the prepares process is already digital as someone mentioned it before. So the difference is only a printing process from standard offset printing press to digital press. And digital presses came to a level that is even higher than standard presses... it's just a matter of finding a publisher who can guarantee high level output & then all the benefits (no stock, lower initial investment etc...) are paying off.

3) Publishing in PDF and then protecting the file with password and serial number of the file... which can easily be traced back if the file has leaked. I believe that some of our forum members are doing same thing to protect their issues (Andrew?). This way it can easily be traced back to the person who did the fraud & even legal actions can be initialized... or person banned from further purchases.

Just my 2 cents.
M
Old 10th May 2017, 16:14

superbee is on a distinguished road

English,please English.
I have all your books in english and will buy ALL your future books in English!
Old 30th March 2018, 02:19

Bookman is on a distinguished road

Werner Molge was last secretary of the JG.26 veterans association, which since the 1990's combined with us (the JG. 27 veterans organization, the largest by orders of magnitude of all vets organizations). Prior to his passing, he collected voluminous documentation on all flight personnel and I think everyone else, with photos. As we were good friends, he showed me some excerpts, and I gave him some supplemental material. All was given to the owner of the Laatsen museum outside Hannover. That fellow died afterward and whomever has access to this would have much of the work well started.
Molge was a dear fellow, and has written articles for Jet &Prop. The biggest fan of the 190 "Dora". His flight gear still fit fairly well. Fits me too!