Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 8th May 2023, 17:28

Buckeye30 is on a distinguished road
Re: B-17 pilot whose crew was credited with the most aerial kills

Hi Michael. The planes' names were based on the dance rather than the song so evidently their wives were enthusiasts; other names came from musical comedies featuring black artists like "Cabin in the Sky" 1943 (Lena Horne, Duke Ellington).
Many white GIs listened to black music, "Jezebel" by the Golden Gate Quartet (1941) was popular and several planes were named that ( it was also a Bette Davis film though).
I believe the quartet were the first black artists to perform at the White House (ironic name?).

Just remembered another "Susie Q" ( the other spelling) one of the B-17Es transferred to the Middle East from Tenth AF in India in June 1942; serials were replaced by white plane numbers. She was probably one assigned to XII AFSC in Algeria later (from block 41-9011--245). There is a nice photo of the left side in Dana Bell's "Air Force Colors" Vol.2.
She is right at the beginning of this film, due for salvage...................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5N2APKJtrg

Last edited by Buckeye30; 10th May 2023 at 11:52. Reason: Added film
Old 12th May 2023, 16:18
Alter Hase

knusel is on a distinguished road

Last year I saw the Elvis movie at the cinema. It displayed impressingly his pivotal role in making genuinely black music acceptable/irrestible for white listeners. I assume in the pre-Elvis era the whites were rather reserved towards black music, not mainly because of the black skin color but rather because of the inherent sensualism of the songs. It required the gigantic charisma of Elvis to bridge that gap. Is it known what B-17 crews listened to in their spare time ?
Old 13th May 2023, 17:53

The most popular music was swing / jazz as personified by bands like Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman but the Afro-American "sweet, swing and jive" was found at parties and dances where the Lindy Hop and Jitterbug were taught to British girls at US airfields in England. I believe the No.1 song at the time was the Andrews Sisters' "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy", but they were white.

I've met many Eighth airmen over the years (mostly fighter groups) and none seem to have had a problem with black music; but they were a long way from home.

This web site covers the period , the majority "white" but some black bands.
https://www.historyonthenet.com/auth...sic/index.html

Nick
Old 13th May 2023, 19:52
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye30 View Post
The most popular music was swing / jazz as personified by bands like Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman but the Afro-American "sweet, swing and jive" was found at parties and dances where the Lindy Hop and Jitterbug were taught to British girls at US airfields in England. I believe the No.1 song at the time was the Andrews Sisters' "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy", but they were white.

I've met many Eighth airmen over the years (mostly fighter groups) and none seem to have had a problem with black music; but they were a long way from home.

This web site covers the period , the majority "white" but some black bands.
https://www.historyonthenet.com/auth...sic/index.html

Nick
Nick

There wasn't a single white jazz artist who didn't listen to "black" music.
If anyone claimed he didn't.....he was lying.....
Also the inter-racial had already begun, lots of black musicians played in white bands before the war.

My own favourite from the late 1930s was Charlie Christian who started up the electric guitar!
Legend!!

Also think the Duke broke a lot of ice during the 1930s.
Never researched the subject since colour don't mean a thing to me unless we talk about camouflage....

Cheers
Stig
Old 16th May 2023, 11:13
Alter Hase

Good morning Gentlemen,

the other day I heard that the Ford Mustang (despite featuring a horse logo) was named not after the animal but after the aircraft.
May it be that one of the named warplanes served as inspiration for Dale Hawkins' song "SuzyQ" ?

Have a nice Tuesday,

Michael
Old 19th May 2023, 15:43

Michael. I doubt that Hawkins would have known about the planes' names but he grew up in the 1940s and would be familiar with the dance moves; one or two sources say the name refers to the record label owner Stan Lewis' daughter Susan.

Nick
Old 20th May 2023, 12:27
Alter Hase

Hello Nick,

and the Q was added just because it sounds good and offers lots of possible rhymes ?

Have a good weekend,

Michael