Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 25th April 2013, 10:56

ANDREAS is on a distinguished road
Re: Mediterranean Air War by Chris Shores

What is the timetable for these volumes? one every year?
Old 25th April 2013, 21:15

Felix C is on a distinguished road

Long life and good health to all of us then so we can enjoy the fruits of this labour. The author(s) as well.
Old 19th July 2013, 21:08

Felix C is on a distinguished road

Vol.2 out for pre-order.

A History of the Mediterranean Air War 1940-1945, Vol. 2: North African Desert, February 1942 - March 1943

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/190...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 8th August 2013, 22:38

Dominik is on a distinguished road

Just one question. Which releasing date is more realistic: November 2013 claimed by Amazon.com or December 2013 claimed Amazon.co.uk?
Old 8th August 2013, 23:33
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

If I had to make a guess, I would say the book will appear in England in December. But really, all I can actually say is, it will appear when it appears.

The first half or so of the book has gone off to Grub Street for editing and typesetting. My part, on the Americans, should go to Chris et al in a few days, and then has to be integrated into the final manuscript. Chris plans on spending some time at the PRO in the near future to take care of some loose ends (and hopefully find some information for me!). So hopefully sometime in September the remainder of the book will go to Grub Street. Once that is done the photos have to be selected and integrated into the text, and then the final pagination can be done. Once that is ready Chris will have to prepare the index (for volume one that took at least a week). Then that goes into the final version, and off to the printer and the binder.

Then Chris will flop into a chair and take a rest.

Enjoy!

Frank.
Old 9th August 2013, 14:54
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

That, Frank, would probably be Chris only flop in his life....

But then again the faster that flop gets going the sooner we get the book

Cheers
Stig
Old 13th August 2013, 17:34

David N is on a distinguished road

Will the book have comments by pilots on both sides as "Fighters Over The Desert did? "Fighters Over Tunisia" had the comments by Allied pilots but not the Germans.
Old 13th August 2013, 21:36
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point

How are the Photo Recon Units being treated? Fighters over Tunisia had scant documentation on most of the losses.
Old 18th August 2013, 12:12
Alter Hase

Just back from another week in Washington at NARA II.

I will have to check with Chris to see how much German commentary he has available. I don't know how much untranslated material he has.

With regard to the photo recce units, the intention is to include all combat related losses but less of the strictly accidental losses. For the US, I have end-of-war statistical studies of 12th AF combat units, another of the transport units, and a third of the photo recce units. Among other things these list total monthly losses, so I know how much I am looking for. I also have lists of 12th AF losses through about mid-1944 by serial number. All of this goes into the outline, and then I go looking for details. Which is why I go to NARA II every month for a week (except Jan/Feb/Mar -- bad winter driving).

I have been building a database of aircraft losses, and crew deaths, which is far more detailed than we can put in the books. When the series is done I may look into publishing the database.

Enjoy!

Frank.
Old 23rd August 2013, 02:13
Alter Hase

Chris sent the following in an email to me, in response to questions about the frequency of publication of The Mediterranean Air War:

I also understand that there has been some speculation regarding the frequency of appearance of the volumes. When John Davies of Grub Street pressed me to get on with the series we sat down together and worked out what would be likely to be the size - and came to about seven volumes. I said at the time "You realise that this will take me at least ten years to do - providing that I remain alive and that my health hold out ?" John's response was "I'll take the chance if you will !" and off we went.

When Volume 1 was so unexpectedly well-received last year, Giovanni and I were at Duxford for the signing and in the euforia of the moment, unwisely said, when asked, that we could probably bring out Vol 2 by the same time next year (like now). Madness !! We have tried, and will have the greater part completed by the end of September. But it is a huge job with a team of five to draw all the threads in from - and then there will be the tedious jobs of indexing, listing sources, referencing maps and captioning photos. And please remember guys - I'm not the lively 30 year-old who did 'Fighters over the Desert' - I'm 76, and the rest of the team are not that far behind me. I had been retired for getting on ten years when all this really blew up, and for the last couple of years I have effectively been back to full time work, and look like being so into the forseeable future. My modelling, which I love, has not been touched during that time, and the Boss (thats the lady I've been wed to for the last 53 years) is not always all that amused by it all.

But rest assured, we will all be doing the BEST we can to get these volumes out, and your patience is very much appreciated. Thanks very much for your continued support.

Very good wishes to you all, Chris.

=====================

Further to the question of quotations from German pilots, Chris says that he does not seem to have anything more than what appears in Fighters Over Tunisia. Any number of books on Marseille, but I don't think there are any quotes from him. And looking over a list of my collection of biographies of aces, I don't see much that would apply to volumes 2 or 3 of MAW. Any suggestions? Including bomber, Stuka, transport, etc pilots?

Enjoy!

Frank.