Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 16th October 2005, 11:48

Mirek Wawrzynski is an unknown quantity at this point
The Last Biplanes’ War. Regia Aeronautica versus RAFand SAAF in VI 1940 -

The Last Biplanes’ War. Regia Aeronautica versus RAFand SAAF in East Africa VI 1940 - XI 1941.

Now in Poland I have published in Polish aviation magazine Lotnictwo, no 10/2005 the vol. 1 of my long story: The Last Biplanes’ War. Regia Aeronautica versus RAFand SAAF in East Africa VI 1940 - XI 1941. All text in Polish no any English captions (sorry this is only for Polish reading).
It is fruit of my long resarch focused on this small air war fought in the first period of WW II on and over this Italian colorny (Africa Orientale Italiana - A.O.I.).
The story has 8 pages, 21 b&w photos including one map of this area and there are added 4 nice color profile of Vickers Vincent (HV-L, K4712) of 8 Sqn from Aden; Vickers Wellesley (KU-N, K77750 of 47 Sqn); Gloster Gladiator II (GO-A, N2288) of 94 Sqn from Aden and Fiat CR.32 (410- red 8) of 410a Squadrligia. Very nice colors excelent done by Robert Gretzyngier (I see many and this is in fact very good job).
This part contains: general presentation of air power both fighting side (OdB); begining of the war - first clashes over the colony; devastating air assults made by both sides on enemy airfileds (landing grounds); the capture of British Somailand in VIII 1940.
The next part will be edited in the next issue of Lotnictwo with the quite similar amount of pages, maybe even one more.

Regards
Mirek Wawrzyński
Old 16th October 2005, 21:40
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: The Last Biplanes’ War. Regia Aeronautica versus RAFand SAAF in VI 1940 -

Mirek:

How will this series differ from Shores' Dust Clouds In The Middle East?

Thanks............
Old 17th October 2005, 10:50

The Shores had made a book (long and detailed big chapter). This is only 2 parts long article (about 70.000 signes). So his works is bigger one and has much more information. There are not so many space in magazine.

He presents mostly the war from RAF and SAAF point of view, me rather from RA (this side is more presented then Allied one) - second point of difference.

He made this day by day - chronology order, me have focused on some specific subjects to presents this less know air war.

I have correct and add some new data, which where not given in "The Dust Clouds...". like: attack on Manama rafinery (quite interesting "strategic bombing), where Italian used A.O.I. territory as a landing ground. Second the Italian shuttle air transport (S.82, S.75) - they transported 51 CR.42 + other planes like S.79.

Anyway "The Dust ..." is still the biggest source of information about this air war in spite that you may find there some faults and errors, which easily surface, when you compare it with other data and information about this war (SAAF, RA, RAF sources).
Shores makes good book, which are helpful for deeper resarch (it is a good and solid platform, its shows you the directions and genaral overwiew about this war). The rest what you want to presnets deepends only from you.

Regards,
mw
Old 21st October 2005, 21:01
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Hi
May I also point out the book Springbok fighter victory SAAF Fighter operations 1939-45, Vol 1 East Africa 1940-41.
Very nicely produced in the African Aviation Series

Cheers
Stig Jarlevik
Old 23rd October 2005, 19:14

Yes I have hear about this book, but do not read it.
Anyway Hakan quite often use it on his www.side.

Regards
MirekW
Old 23rd October 2005, 20:34

Dominik is on a distinguished road

Dear Mirek

I have found your article very interesting. In fact the Air War in East Africa is not well known in Poland.I think that your article could be much longer (vide Malak's articles) I count on you and wait for very long article.Maby you will write a book????

Best regards
Old 23rd October 2005, 20:54
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Jarlevik
Hi
May I also point out the book Springbok fighter victory SAAF Fighter operations 1939-45, Vol 1 East Africa 1940-41.
Very nicely produced in the African Aviation Series

Cheers
Stig Jarlevik
Stig: Forgive me but where can this series be procurred?

Thanks
Old 23rd October 2005, 22:37

Ludovico Slongo is on a distinguished road

Dear Mr. Beaman,
you can buy the book (at least) via Abebooks.com from a South-African book seller.
BTW if you are interested in the subject, in the same site you 'll find also used copies of "A gathering of Eagles, the campaigns of the South African air force in Italian East Africa 1940-41" written by James Ambrose Brown and published in 1970 by Purnell. It is a 340 pages book filled with B/W photos and maps that Shores used as main source on SAAF operations when writing "Dust clouds in the Middle East". It is also -higly likely- the most comprehensive source regarding SAAF operations in East Africa, it lacks however deatails on RAF and RA operations.
Regards
Ludovico
Old 24th October 2005, 01:43
Super Moderator

Forgive me, Stik and Ludovico, but I canot find the title(s) and author(s) on Abe.com. Perhaps I am using the wrong search parameters?

I guess I need the exact titles and authors.

Thanks
Old 24th October 2005, 12:44

Re: The Last Biplanes’ War -3

Hi
The book
Schoeman, Michael. SPRINGBOK FIGHTER VICTORY: SAAF fighter operations, 1939-1945. Vol. 1.: East Africa, 1940-1941. Nelspruit: Freeworld Publications, 2003. 188 p.: ill., ports. (African aviation series; no. 11). 4to. Pict. paper covered boards.

Softcover also available @ R200.
R 260
You may order directly from Suth Africa (I have found her there too)

http://www.selectbooks.co.za/Catalogue33/33aviation.htm

If coming to Polish edition (or separate book), there is too small market in Poland to print it as a book, only long article and nothing more.
There is absolutly domination of "Me 109 subject" + black corsses or and after also again Me 109 or 109 Me 109 later Spitfie, Mustangs and later and far away such strange titles like my one, which also has the market but not so interesting like all titles around "Me 109".

This article, which was just edited is as for subject quite big one if you campare it with other materials, anyway the whole strory will have about 16-17 pages of A-4 which aslo is quite big - part 1 has 8 pages, second 8-9 I suppouse.
There is also much if we taling about this less know air war where there were no "Me 109" or "Ju 88" or other LW planes.

Regards
Mirek Wawrzyński

PS
If concerning the sources to Shores' book the second co-author was captain Corrado Ricci (he commander of 410 Squadrligia on CR.32) and he supply Shores with many (not all but sagnificantly) information about RA side + own memory from the comabat were aslo very valuable and interesting.
Of course when you read the books about SAAF in this war the authors are focused mainly on the SAAF role ant nothing more. They presnets the own history of SAAF.