Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 9th March 2017, 21:45
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: In General, What is Everyone Doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Stapley View Post
I have been undertaking research in my spare time as part of a project that a friend is putting together. This May marks the 75th anniversary of the Exeter Blitz (3/4 May) and it is hoped to have a DVD ready to mark the occasion.

Interviews have been conducted with surviving witnesses and archive photographs unearthed. My part in the project has been researching the graves of Luftwaffe crewmen buried in Higher Cemetery, Exeter. My first thread posted on this forum relates to one of the men buried there.
My Dad who died last September was an ARP cycle messenger (at 14 years old) in the Exeter Blitz and I have his story written down: it includes the burning of the City Library and Castle Street. He also, via a junior Air Ministry job, got to know the pilots of 307 Polish Squadron and had joyrides in their Beaufighters. My Mum could give you her perspective (from an Anderson shelter in Ebrington Road) — she gives talks to primary school groups about her wartime childhood. Contact me on nick@ghostbombers.com if you're interested.
Old 13th March 2017, 18:23

Mark Erickson is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty happy to come across this site with friendly folk discussing a favorite subject. Attaching a few pages from my painting website that i dedicate to my father, Lt. Ernest Anders Erickson a former B-17 Air Corps pilot. The site has been going for years, though began my father's pages in 2013 when I inherited his huge Air Corps archives. take a look-see.

http://markerickson.com/Family_History/Ernest_Erickson/
Old 18th April 2017, 03:47

Adrienne Messer is on a distinguished road

Hello, I just wanted to introduce myself, I have been a member for a while, but never commented and I am amateur JG 27 Researcher ( novice) from Australia and have a great interest with this Geschwader I'm also researching Hans Joachim Marseille and his Staffel. I have a great passion for the Luftewaffe and the Bf 109. Thanks and regards, Adrienne.
Old 30th August 2017, 19:13

19JDKR45 is on a distinguished road

As I have posted a couple of threads it seems rude not to say why I have been asking very specific questions about the Luftwaffe in North Germany in early April 1945. The reason is that I am carrying out major additional work to a book I authored in 1994 entitled 'No Triumphant Procession - The Forgotten Battles of April 1945'. The book concentrated on the battles fought on the rivers Weser and Aller by formations from British VIII and XII Corps against, in the main, 2.Marine-Infanterie-Division.

I wrote the book in those far-off, pre-internet days when information was far harder to come by and consequently my coverage of the Luftwaffe was very thin. I'm now putting that right and through this excellent forum have already had really helpful assistance from Nick Beale, RodM and Delmenhorst. My thanks to them again. Once I have completed my research I will seek a publisher and hopefully produce a significantly enlarged MkII edition of my book. Pigs might....!
Old 30th August 2017, 19:29
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

I wrote the book in those far-off, pre-internet days when information was far harder to come by and consequently my coverage of the Luftwaffe was very thin.
I thought it was a very good book though, on a part of the campaign that's glossed over very quickly in most histories.
Old 30th August 2017, 19:40
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19JDKR45 View Post
As I have posted a couple of threads it seems rude not to say why I have been asking very specific questions about the Luftwaffe in North Germany in early April 1945. The reason is that I am carrying out major additional work to a book I authored in 1994 entitled 'No Triumphant Procession - The Forgotten Battles of April 1945'. The book concentrated on the battles fought on the rivers Weser and Aller by formations from British VIII and XII Corps against, in the main, 2.Marine-Infanterie-Division.

I wrote the book in those far-off, pre-internet days when information was far harder to come by and consequently my coverage of the Luftwaffe was very thin. I'm now putting that right and through this excellent forum have already had really helpful assistance from Nick Beale, RodM and Delmenhorst. My thanks to them again. Once I have completed my research I will seek a publisher and hopefully produce a significantly enlarged MkII edition of my book. Pigs might....!
Hey, I have this book: I have always been interested in the last months of the war. In most WWII histories, the various Rhine crossings are described in details and then the focus goes to the Berlin battle. But April 1945 in Western Germany was still bloody (same applies to France after Dunkirk: actually more French and German died after Dunkirk than during the first phase of the campaign, still you read little about it).
Old 30th August 2017, 20:01

19JDKR45 is on a distinguished road

Well done Nick and Laurent and I congratulate you both on your excellent taste in reading material! How right you are about the bloodiness of the final weeks. This is what a British company commander wrote about those days....

'Reading the English newspapers at that time, one would have thought that fighting had virtually ceased and that all we were doing was to motor along and take thousands of prisoners. This annoyed us to no small degree and…two of our bitterest engagements were yet to be fought. Although things were going very well, yet valuable lives were still being lost daily, and we wished that some of these war correspondents who were sending back these totally inaccurate reports could be up with us to see what was really going on.'

Tough times.

all the best

John

Last edited by 19JDKR45; 30th August 2017 at 20:02. Reason: Additional text
Old 28th September 2017, 22:58

SES

Hi John,
Got it. Pleas say if I can be of further assistance.
bregds
SES
Old 23rd April 2019, 19:04

Bf-109G-6 Pilot is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: In General, What is Everyone Doing?

Love the replies on this thread. . .Yes, I am one of those "Old Hares" that began modeling in the late 50's as a kid. All of a sudden the kit building stopped when I found out in Jr. High that there was a lot more out there than just plastic airplanes! I never lost my interest in WWII aviation (specifically Luftwaffe & AAF) and at age 10 started on a huge WWII aviation book collection which still consumes me! And yes, I even started up again with my model building and am struggling through a 1/24th Bf-109 G (Hartmann).

Although I love reading about very specific details about pilots and such, I would rather hear about what people are doing model wise; especially when it comes to using new construction & painting ideas.

Love this forum. . .!

Mike
Old 17th June 2020, 17:32

13starsinax is on a distinguished road

This thread is a very nice look into why so many are interested in this hobby, and refreshing to see people speaking passionately about what drives them to find the next answer.

Very impressive bunch of knowledgeable members, and I appreciate all the help and guidance to further my base.
I like details about the airfields, and which units were present. If I acquire a plane part, and the seller is giving honest information pertaining to location, it can lead to lots of great context.
Thank you all.