Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 16th April 2024, 17:47

FrankieS is on a distinguished road
? lost Aircraft (UK to U.S. with UK WW2 technology)

Hi all,

I'm possibly wrong, sorry in advance,

but I seem to remember (erroneously?)
that I read somewhere that before (or during/after?) the
true Tizard WW2 mission September 1940

(The team arrived in Halifax, Canada, on 6 September on board the CPR Liner Duchess of Richmond (later known as the RMS Empress of Canada), and went on to Washington, D.C., a few days later.)

there were different technological items supposed to be shipped
from UK to U.S. or Canada by an aircraft, which however crashed into the Atlantic ???

I thought this was mentioned

either in Kai Bird: American Prometheus
or in Richard Rhodes: Making of the Atomic Bomb

but didn't find it using search function on pdf's of the two books.

Does somebody know of such an incident or similar circumstances ?

thank You,
FrankieS

Last edited by FrankieS; 16th April 2024 at 19:04.
Old 16th April 2024, 17:52

FrankieS is on a distinguished road
Re: ? lost Aircraft (UK to U.S. with UK WW2 technology)

sorry again, now ChatGPT gives the following input, but
i cannot confirm by checking internet resources, so possibly AI fiction or misunderstanding ?

i'm searching for an incident prior to the WW2 Tizard mission when an aircraft was lost in the Atlantic carrying UK technology secrets

ChatGPT

The incident you're referring to is likely the loss of the British aircraft, a Lockheed Hudson, which occurred in September 1940. This aircraft was en route from the UK to Canada, carrying highly sensitive technology and documents, including details about radar and other classified equipment. Unfortunately, it crashed into the Atlantic Ocean, leading to the loss of both the aircraft and its valuable cargo. This incident underscored the need for secure transportation methods for sensitive information during wartime.

what is the serial number or any other identifier (date etc.) of this loss ?

ChatGPT

The Lockheed Hudson aircraft lost in the Atlantic in September 1940 was designated as L7246. It departed from Aldergrove in Northern Ireland on September 8, 1940, and was headed for Gander in Newfoundland (now part of Canada). Tragically, the aircraft encountered bad weather and crashed into the Atlantic Ocean, resulting in the loss of its valuable cargo of technology secrets intended for delivery to Canada.

Last edited by FrankieS; 16th April 2024 at 18:25.