Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 28th April 2020, 16:28
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point
need opinions

Having read the first two volumes of South Pacific Air War and The First Team, I wonder if it’s worth getting the third volume of the former since it covers the same areas and Coral Sea? The same question about Early Carrier Raids especially since both are in the $25 range.

Thanks!
Old 28th April 2020, 17:07

SteveR is on a distinguished road
Re: need opinions

I've got South Pacific Air War vol. 3. It doesn't contain anything new on the fighting between the carrier air groups at Coral Sea; what it does have is lots of details (previously unknown to me) about the scouting and attacks by both sides of non-carrier units. I'm glad I bought the book, it does expand our knowledge about other areas/aspects of the battle and the campaign.

Going beyond The First Team for new info/details of the fighting at the Coral Sea battle, there's a little bit (mostly about the attack of and death of Commander Ault) in Lundstrom's Black Shoe Carrier Admiral. It's an excellent biography of Fletcher; I highly (FWIW) recommend it.

Best yet, Mr. Lundstrom is currently working on a brand new book about the Battle of the Coral Sea. I *think* it's supposed to be out sometime next year and I can't wait!

Sorry, I can't help with Early Carrier Raids. A friend said he wasn't too impressed but I don't have it and haven't read it.
Old 28th April 2020, 17:15
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: need opinions

Thanks, that helps a lot!