Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 8th December 2008, 04:04

kb
JG11 hellgrau paint scheme

JG11 appears to have been unique the scheme applied to their aircraft in the winter-spring of 1944.

I have a copy of Prien's unit history but am not a very good German reader, despite access to a German-English dictionary.

Can someone fill me in on when the paint scheme was adopted and why it was only utilized by JG11? It would appear to have been very effective.
Old 8th December 2008, 07:04
Alter Hase

Pilot is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: JG11 hellgrau paint scheme

Do you think on the overpainting of the fuselage cross and swastika on tail?
Owner: www.sreckobradic.com
Owner: www.warplanes-zine.com
Email: srecko.warplane@gmail.com
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/LetLet...s/308234397758
Old 8th December 2008, 19:51

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb View Post
I have a copy of Prien's unit history but am not a very good German reader, despite access to a German-English dictionary.

Can someone fill me in on when the paint scheme was adopted and why it was only utilized by JG11? It would appear to have been very effective.

I'm not sure how valid this is, but Fritz Engau (I./JG 11) contributed to Prien's history and wrote his own account, 'Frontal durch die Bomberpulks'. On P.38 he writes;

'When I arrived at I./JG 11 in early 1944 a number of our FWs, including the Kommandeur's machine, had been sprayed in a light grey scheme overall, toning down the usual mottle finish, while on all our machines the Haken- and Balkenkreuze were only barely visible ('schwach erkennbar')...It has often been imagined that this unusual finish served as 'camouflage' (in English in the German text) so that our opponents would find it harder to pick us out as German a/c in the air..although you could hardly disguise the distinctive form of the Fw190 or the Bf 109.. In addition all JG 11 fighters displayed a yellow fuselage band which was highly visible in the air...Ultimately the reasons for adopting the finish were obscure and it can be supposed with a certain degree of certainty they probably had more to do with 'Farbgebungsversuche' - testing of colours/paint finishes- than any other consideration. Certainly at the time the subject was not one we pilots discussed...'

HTH
Old 9th December 2008, 04:43

kb

Thanks Neil...very enlightening.