Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 24th July 2006, 19:21
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Details of loss of four crash-landed Battles during Western Campaign

I'm trying to enter into my data base several photos of a well-known crash landed Fairey Battle, QT*I, which has been reported (but not confirmed) lost after an attack on German columns advancing in the Dippach area on 10.5.40. Unfortunately, no serial number is visible in any of the many known photos of this a/c, and there are more than one possible a/c that this could be--a common problem with 142 SQ Battle losses during this period.

I'm similarly trying to determine that date time and circumstances for the crash-landed Battle from that SQ, QT*L, again displaying no visible serial.

Another "mystery" photo is another crash-landed Battle, probably carrying the serial P2357, which would be a 103 SQ a/c if the serial is correct. Other details are unknown.

A final question relates to another103 SQ Battle, PM*N, reported by one source as down at "Bouvellemont," a French town in the Ardennes south of Poix-Terron. Does anyone have a serial number or other details on this aircraft? This could be L5446, but evidence for that is not in hand.

Thanx,