Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 19th September 2017, 08:42

Theodor is on a distinguished road
A personal or unit emblem on aircraft?

Hi, I am trying to find out information about this emblem. It is the Bulgarian Bravery order. What is it, a unit emblem? Or what? why was it used on what seems to be trainer aircraft? Thank you!
Old 19th September 2017, 16:14

sidney is on a distinguished road
Re: A personal or unit emblem on aircraft?

The Bulgarian Bravery Order military decoration is probably only similar to it.

For your ready reference in the same batch of photos on eBay you can find what I believe was a destroyed Polish fighter aircraft from September 1939 sporting this emblem. I can post it later here, if you wish.

The emblem was associated with II.(schlacht)/Lehrgeschwader 2, and probably sported on the Stab's Hs 123 ground attack aircraft.

The light aircraft was not a trainer aircraft, at least did not have that function here - it was more likely used as a light aircraft at Stab II.(s)/LG 2 disposal.

Regards,
Sinisa

Last edited by sidney; 21st September 2017 at 09:55.
Old 19th September 2017, 16:35

Thank you, I have not seen the auction, a friend sent just these photos.
Old 19th September 2017, 16:45

Well, after some search, I found the seller and the photos. The destroyed aircraft in Poland has the Bulgarian airforce emblem of that time (circle with the Bravery cross inside). That aircraft was either to be delivered to Bulgaria, or returned for repairs. But it has the Bulgarian emblem on it. The German aircraft from the first post still remains a mistery to me?
Old 19th September 2017, 17:36

Tom Willis is on a distinguished road

This is a Focke-Wulf Fw 44 - could be the personal aircraft of the Kommander or used as a general hack by the Stab
Old 19th September 2017, 20:57

According to what I found on the net, the Bulgarian Air Force did order 14 Nos. PZL P.24Bs in 1937–1938. It later placed a repeat order for another 20 Nos. PZL P.24C, to be delivered by the end of 1938. It then ordered 26 Nos. more PZL P.24Fs, 22 of which were delivered from Poland in July 1939, just before the outbreak of World War II.

The remaining four, lacking propellers, were bombed in the Okęcie airport and aircraft factory in September 1939 by the Germans. Total: 56 PZL P.24B/C/F

Last edited by sidney; 19th September 2017 at 22:22.
Old 19th September 2017, 21:00

Not to jump to any rush conclusion here, but this might be how the apparently Stab II.(s)/LG 2 emblem originated - as the spoils of the Polenfeldzug.
Old 19th September 2017, 21:57

And the PZL P24.F in question...

Last edited by sidney; 31st August 2018 at 17:09.
Old 20th September 2017, 01:45

jednastka is on a distinguished road

As shown in the PZL P24F photo, this was the Bulgarian Air Force roundel from 1937 until 1941. It is also the symbol; of the Bulgarian Medal of Bravery. I believe the photos that you show are FW44s flown by Bulgarians, hence the symbol. Much like allied nations put their air force's roundel on British Spits and Hurris.

Vic
Old 20th September 2017, 10:36

Fw 44 flown by Bulgarians... That I doubt. All these photos are taken from a II.(s)/LG 2 album showing the campaigns in Poland and France, and sold individually. The Fw 44, as far as I can see it, is with the Luftwaffe markings, there is just nothing to suggest the presence of the Bulgarian air force personnel here.

Furthermore, the so-called Tripartite Pact was joined by Bulgaria only on 1 March 1941, so at the time when the aforementioned campaigns took place, it was strictly speaking a neutral country.

Last edited by sidney; 20th September 2017 at 14:21.