Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 8th August 2008, 01:07

Critfer is on a distinguished road
Sgt Marian Domagala, 302 Squadron

Hi,

I'm looking for information about Sgt Marian Domagala of 302, City of Poznan, Squadron, RAF.

On the evening of 8 May 1941, a flight from 302 Squadron was 'bounced' by JG 51 over Dungeness, Kent - Sgt Domagala's Hurricane (Z2523?) suffered damage forcing him to bail out.

I'm interested to know anything about Sgt Domagala's service - before and after this action - and also about the action itself.

Many thanks!

Chris
Old 8th August 2008, 02:36
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Re: Sgt Marian Domagala, 302 Squadron

Domagała was one of the few so you can find him in Wynn or in Zielinski's Polish airmen in the Battle of Britain. If those books are not available to you, let me know.
Old 8th August 2008, 02:45

nick de carteret is on a distinguished road

Hi Chris... Sgt Marian Domagala flew as my uncle's wingman during the BOB when he was with 238 Squadron. They remained friends after the war and were in touch until he died in the early nineties I believe.
Old 8th August 2008, 18:25

gedburke3 is on a distinguished road

Hi Nick,
I'm intrigued - what was your uncles name?
Gerry
Old 8th August 2008, 19:28
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

In answer to your original question, he was claimed by Stab I/JG 51-Hptm Joppien and Fw Flieg who also shot down Sqn Ldr Laguna (who also baled out unhurt)
Old 8th August 2008, 19:58
Alter Hase

robert is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Chris,

it was Fleig not Flieg.

Regards

Robert
Old 8th August 2008, 23:16
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

I before E except after C...except in German!!
Old 11th August 2008, 03:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedburke3 View Post
Hi Nick,
I'm intrigued - what was your uncles name?
Gerry
Hi Gerry, he was Air Commodore H.A. 'Jimmy' Fenton CBE, DSO, DFC. During the BOB he was a Squadron Leader in command of 238 Squadron. Here is what he said in his book regarding Sgt Domagala :-

"Vernon Simmonds had usually flown as my No.2 but now led a section himself so I drafted in Sgt. Marrion Domagala, a Pole into the position and found it reassuring to have a man of his determination and ability on my wingtip. I remember an incident a month or two later. We were together trying to intercept a German 'Recce'. There were huge thunderstorms and inside one my airspeed indicator iced up and failed as the heater was on the blink. I could keep straight but went up and down violently. All this time Domagala stuck to my wingtip like glue!

For some months I flew with Domagala (Polish) and Bernard (Czech) on each side and reckoned I had the finest section in the Command".
Old 11th August 2008, 11:26

gedburke3 is on a distinguished road

Hi Nick,
Many thanks for this info. I recall talking to Gordon Batt several times about Air Commodore Fenton. In fact I recall Gordon had a painting of Hurricanes on his wall at home that I believe was done by your uncle, he was very proud of it. I have a photograph of it somewhere if you would like a copy.
I was unaware that he had written a book - what was it called I will try and get a copy. I have attached a pic of Marian Domagala for you in case you don't have one.
Gerry

Last edited by gedburke3; 21st August 2020 at 12:14.
Old 12th August 2008, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedburke3 View Post
Hi Nick,
Many thanks for this info. I recall talking to Gordon Batt several times about Air Commodore Fenton. In fact I recall Gordon had a painting of Hurricanes on his wall at home that I believe was done by your uncle, he was very proud of it. I have a photograph of it somewhere if you would like a copy.
I was unaware that he had written a book - what was it called I will try and get a copy. I have attached a pic of Marian Domagala for you in case you don't have one.
Gerry
Hi again Gerry... yes, he was an amateur artist and did various small paintings depicting Hurricanes. His book of his years in the RAF and WW2 was privately published in the early nineties and is very hard to obtain now. It mainly went to old comrades, family members and various libraries and associations as far as I know but is an excellent read covering his time in India in before the war, the BOB, the Desert Air Force, 2nd TAF, station commander at Kenley with J.J. etc. etc.
Picture here : http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...ey2/017_18.jpg