Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 11th August 2007, 22:39
Norman Malayney

Mosquito downed by Me163

On page 149 of "Rocket Fighter" by William Green it states:
"Feldwebel Rolf Glogner, one ofJG's most experienced Komet pilots, took off shortly after dawn to intercept a reconnaissance Mosquito reported to be approaching Leipzig. .....Glogner sighted the Mosquito some distance away and below, put the Komet into a steep dive and rapidly overhauled his quarry. Pulling out immediately behind the Mosquito, Glogner fired a short burst with his cannon and the port engine of the Mosquito immediately burst into flame, its two crew members bailing out." This was the last Me 163 intercept flown from Brandis.

Does anyone know identity of this particular Mosquito aircraft and its crew?

Norman Malayney
Old 11th August 2007, 23:22
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Mosquito downed by Me163

From Profile 226:
"A Mosquito XVI (serial NS795 of 544 Sq was intercepted by Oblt Rolf Glogner and his wingman over Leipzig on March 16,1945.The reconnaissance aircraft's starboard motor was hit by MK 108 shells. After an epic single engine return,the pilot F/O R. M. Hays crashlanded the the crippled Mosquito at Lille in France. He was awarded an immdeiate DFC."
Old 11th August 2007, 23:29

Andy Fletcher

Hi Norman,

Would this be his 16Mar45 claim or 10Apr45 claim?

The 16Mar45 claim may have been Mosquito PR.XVI (NS795) of 544 Sqn, I've no crew details sorry.

Regards

Andy Fletcher
Old 13th August 2007, 17:22
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

Hello Norman, Andy and Kaki.
Here the DFC citation of P/O Hays, who sadly died on the 30th March 1945 - apparently on the crash ( stall on take off ) of MM396 ( see my posting on Allied Forum ).

HAYS, P/O Raymond Morris (J88928) - Distinguished Flying Cross - No.544 Squadron (deceased) - Award effective 24 April 1945 as per London Gazette of that date and AFRO 918/45 dated 1 June 1945. American in the RCAF. Born 1913 in Ashland, Oregon; home in Long Beach, California. Trained at No.6 ITS, No.20 EFTS and No.16 SFTS. Commissioned July 1944. Killed in action 30 March 1945 (Mosquito MM386); buried in United Kingdom.

This officer was the pilot of an aircraft detailed for a reconnaissance covering the Leipzig area in March 1945. Whilst over the target, two enemy fighters attempted to close in. Pilot Officer Hays took violent evading action. Much height was lost. At this stage another enemy aircraft joined the fight. Pilot Officer Hays manoeuvred with great skill and although his aircraft was hit he succeeded in evading the attackers. The starboard engine had been badly damaged but course was set for home. Later on the return flight the aircraft was attacked by another fighter. Pilot Officer Hays manoeuvred with superb skill. Although the aircraft sustained further damage and the navigator was wounded, this pilot succeeded in evading the fighter. He afterwards flew to a landing ground in Allied territory. This officer, who has completed many sorties, has consistently shown courage and resolution.

Yes, it seems that Glockner claimed the Mosquito shot down, although by incredible airmanship Hays took it to Lille where he crashlanded. His Navigator, who as severely injured on the right leg was a Sergeant whose name I can not remember ( had to check at my DATA ). Hays later crewed up with an old ( 31 years ) Nav.

Hope this will help.

Long life to the Mossie History!
Adriano
Old 14th August 2007, 00:15
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

Hello Norman and all,
Memory is something incredible…it play tricks on us. I have checked the information I had and those are the names of the navigators:
1- On the mission of 16th March, Hay´s Nav. was F/Sgt Morgan Philips
2- On his last mission ( 30th March ) he flew and died alongside F/L Donald South ( RAFVR 151174 ) who was 35 years old, not 31 as I wrongly put before ( tried to remember by heart…)

I do not know from which sources Mr Green quoted the passage on his book, this is why I am always skeptical about this kind of narrative. Everybody knows that the Me 163 Komet had a higher ceiling than that of the Mosquitos; so it is very probable that almost all attacks “should” start from a shallow dive, a short burst and a YO-YO action.
Well, did he interviewed Rolf Glogner? Did he use the JG 400 diaries or any kind of combat report to assure his narrative was correct? It seems strange “two parachutes opened” – “the crew baled out”. I do not know, but it seems that MOST pilots are rigid and sincere about their claims. ( I won´t enter the discussion the Forum started about German and Allied pilots who overclaimed ). When one deals with ORAL History one had to be very cautious, because as I experienced here, memory play tricks on us…( 35 years old is not 31! ). I do not know IF Rolf Glogner survived, IF he was interviewed, IF there is a JG 400 or any Abschussmeldung available about 16th March 1945 activities; but, this narrative seems more a novel, than a Combat Report as we are used to read.
I had problems with my computer, but am now writing this again…Please anyone who knows more about Rolf Glogner or this claim should corroborate with us to find out the truth.
Sincere and friendly yours

Adriano
Brazil
Old 14th August 2007, 03:28
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point

Adriano,

Rolf Glogner survived the war. Probably no Abschussmeldung that late in the war.
Old 14th August 2007, 04:22
Norman Malayney

Gentlemen,

Thank you for all the information. It is greatly appreciated.

Norman Malayney