Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 18th June 2005, 10:25
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation
Re: JG 300 book

So if I understand right the two editions will have different Profiles?

Claes Sundin and Tom Tullis for respectively the French and American publication?

Will they cover the same ground or differ in subject?

Have I misunderstood?

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 18th June 2005, 11:42

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

no, you've understood correctly...as I understand it, the EE version has quite a bit more artwork and presents a number of additional photos over the two volumes....

Last edited by FalkeEins; 18th June 2005 at 17:20.
Old 19th June 2005, 01:02

O.Menu

My French edition is 350 pages (50 less than the one from Eagles Ed) and include 15 profiles most of them copyrighted by Claes Sundin. I m not sure if Richard Goyat also do some profiles or not in the book...

So if the two editions are same format i suppose this mean many more photos are included in the Eagles one! Grrr...I will probably not pre-order Vol2 but wait to compare both edition under close examination before taking any decision.

Last edited by O.Menu; 19th June 2005 at 02:52.
Old 19th June 2005, 12:51

Richard Goyat is on a distinguished road

Olivier,

You'll not find more photographs in the American edition than in the French one. The number of pages has nothing to do with the number of photographs, but is due to the different formats used by both publishers. The French format is the usual one of the Docavia collection (about 23.5 cm x 31 cm) while the American one will be the usual Eagle Edition 21 cm x 28 cm.

Both editions are basically the same, the main differences being:

a) a slightly different layout due to the format of the books;
b) More profiles in the American edition, where they were made by Tom Tullis, while those of the French edition were made by Claes Sundin.
c) I contributed two profiles for both editions. In the French book, you'll find them pages 71 and 281.
d) There's an index in the EE version.

So, as you can see, there's nothing to worry about. Readers of the American and French editions will see the same story. I just hope it will be well received in both languages...

Richard Goyat
Old 25th June 2005, 00:02

nick de carteret is on a distinguished road

Could anyone tell me the best place to pick up the Eagle Editions version? The postage charge from Eagle themselves seems to be astronomical....are there any other known stockists that might be more reasonable on the shipping side of things? It looks to be an indispensible reference....can't wait to lay my hands on a copy of Vol 1.
Old 25th June 2005, 00:59

Jerry Crandall

Hi Nick;

Depending on your address and the weight of the book will determine the cost to ship. If you are in the US, UPS fee is a flat $10.50, but if you are in Europe, you can order from our distributor Helion in the UK.

The book is in customs, we have in our hands our first copy and it is really beautiful! 400 pages on heavy gloss paper, with three profiles by Richard Goyat - one on the front fly page and one on the end fly page and one more by Richard in the body of the book. Tom Tullis has done a total of 28 profiles many of which will be available in three decal sheets in all three scales to be released with the book at the IPMS USA Nationals.

The work and effort put into these volumes by all parties is phenominal, the results are well-worth the time and the wait. For example, the original manuscript was in translation from French to English for over 18 months!

We are very excited about this edition which will certainly set a new benchmark!

Cheers,
Judy and Jerry Crandall
Old 25th June 2005, 01:41

Greetings Jerry and Judy and thanks for your reply to my post. I am located in New Zealand and wondered whether you can point me towards a distributor in this part of the world? Looking foward to the book very much. Thanks for any further info.
Old 29th June 2005, 03:13

Unhappy Re: JG 300 book

I am assuming that there is no sales agent for Eagle down under which makes it difficult to justify owning their books when the shipping charge can almost double the purchase price in some cases.
Old 29th June 2005, 17:47

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

.."difficult to justify owning.." ..?? I sympathise..but I'm sure such thoughts will evaporate when you eventually get your copy..(!!)
and to pick up on Richard's post ('new & upcoming books..') about a dearth of new subjects...there aren't going to be many more unit histories like this one..

as far as postage costs are concerned there's no getting away from the fact that this is one very large and heavy book...I would imagine that the EE edition is quite a bit thicker than, say, Urbanke's Green Hearts..

My French copy just arrived -surface mail intra-European postage cost 20 Euros - that's a little less than a third of the purchase price..

Last edited by FalkeEins; 30th June 2005 at 10:44.
Old 30th June 2005, 19:10

judyc
Re: JG 300 book Down Under

Hi Nick;
You can get your copy of our JG 300 book from Airsail International in New Zealand at 649 579 2952 or from Technical Books Christchurch at 64 3 348 0220 or from Crusader Trading in Australia. We have about 7 book dealers in Australia. I would be happy to give you their contact information off board. Email me at eagle@eagle-editions.com and I'll give you the list.
Please know that the fees we charge for shipping to New Zealand or Australia are what we pay, this is air mail. We can ship by surface if you wish. It takes about 6 to 8 weeks but is quite a bit less expensive. The book itself weighs just over 5 lbs., so the package itself is just about 6 pounds.
Let me know what you find out!
All the best,
Judy Crandall
Eagle Editions Ltd.