Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 15th July 2019, 10:48
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road
Re: Iron Cross Magazine

I'm glad you liked it! More Luftwaffe content in Issue 2, as well as WW1 German aviation.
Old 15th July 2019, 16:04

Siko54 is on a distinguished road

Guys, the magazine is bloody fantastic and every bit as good as I hoped it would be. Well done...my sub looks to be money well spent

Only one problem.....it’s not waterproof and doesn’t react well to an entire bottle of water being tipped over accidentally onto it! Very cheeky I know, but is there any chance of getting a cheap replacement mailed out or is it hunt it down in WH Smith’s time?
Old 30th September 2019, 23:40

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

..issue 2 is on the news stands. Neat selection of features. Images of the Wheatcroft Jagdpanther are much too small. Like the WW I aviation article, profile artwork isn’t really the best it could be though. Needs a regular Ritterkreuz piece or similar (unless I missed it...), but then you probably get into ‘glorification’ territory...saw a comment that this will be subscription only from issue 4, is that the case ?
Old 1st October 2019, 04:52
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

I really hope the layout gets rid of the ragged-right layout plus would eliminate excess blank. These measures would provide additional space to cater for larger photos as suggested by Neil.
Old 2nd October 2019, 17:38
Alter Hase

Thank you for your comments!

All will be noted and taken on board.

No, it is not correct that it will be subscription only from Issue 4. Not sure where that originated? In fact, we have just widened the scope of W H Smith branches where it is available.

And if you DM me, Siko54, then I will see what can be done!
Old 2nd October 2019, 22:27

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

Thanks Andy, I've tried to PM you but your in-box is full...
Old 3rd October 2019, 11:33

messcaster is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Iron Cross is an excellent magazine. It gives me the opportunity to read about very different subjects than the Luftwaffe and I greatly appreciated it.
The articles about archeology are specially of interest.
In the last issue, Ghosts of the Fleet took my interest. Sadly small images, like in pages 80-81 are hardly readable on the electronic version. I have the same problem with the charts of the excellent article on the iron cross (pp 119, 121).
I hope it will be possible to increase the definition in the next publications.
Best regards.
Old 4th October 2019, 14:04
Alter Hase

Thank you for all of your helpful feedback.

We do take account of our reader's views, and have taken immediate steps to address the issue of small images on the electronic version.

If the magazine is viewed on an iPad, Kindle or phone, the reader is able to zoom in on the images and text. I have to suspect, therefore, that the issue raised is affecting those reading on a desktop PC or laptop?

We are going to re-PDF the pages referred to and create “hotspots” which will then enable the reader to enlarge the image selected. This should be in place shortly.

We are checking with Pocketmags to see whether these updates will be accessible to any customers who have already downloaded the issue, or just those who download it once the updates have been made.

Again, thank you for your input and bringing this to our attention.

As to the comment regarding the colour profiles, we made a conscious decision to largely move away from the clean computer generated imagery in this respect which all other magazines do. We wanted to create a unique 'arty' look and that is the reason. Also, a good many of the generated images are going on to ceramic mugs, for instance, and wanted the imagery to look a tad retro. And the artwork of Dawn Monks is stunning in this context. We don't want to produce something that looks like any other magazine or bookazine, but instead to create a style which was unique to Iron Cross.
Old 5th October 2019, 21:15

superbee is on a distinguished road

Anywhere in North America/Canada to buy hard copies of the magazine??
Old 9th October 2019, 12:23
Alter Hase

Hi superbee!

I am afraid that we are still not distributing outside of the UK so there are no stores in North America/Canada stocking the title. That being said however, customers can purchase directly from our website and we can ship anywhere!

The link for this is: https://www.militaria-history.co.uk/...ues/iron-cross to purchase Issue 1 or 2.

Also, have you considered a subscription? Or the digital version?

Thank you for your interest.

Andy