Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > The Second World War in General

The Second World War in General Please use this forum to discuss other World War Two related subjects not covered by the main categories.

Old 24th March 2021, 09:42

Jim Oxley is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe Bomber Formation Discipline

In a couple of the biography's I've read by Battle Of Britain pilots, it's mentioned by those fighter pilots that, when attacked, Luftwaffe bomber formations broke up and scattered. Making for easy pickings.

Were Luftwaffe bomber formations so undisciplined? Just doesn't seem right to me.

Can anyone confirm one way or another? Cheers.

ASWWIAH Member
Old 25th March 2021, 12:32
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road
Re: Luftwaffe Bomber Formation Discipline

I've perhaps seen a couple of such references, relating to the (comparatively) few successful head-on attacks. The (also few) low-level raids would also seem to have split into independent runs for home, although this tends to be linked to after the attack rather than interception before it.

The majority of raid appear to have got through to their targets with the aircraft still grouped, despite the best efforts of 11 Group. Obviously this is not a statistical description, I've never seen one. But neither do I recall accounts of bomber fornmations in a raid completely scattering and the raid being aborted.
Old 18th April 2021, 16:51
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Boak View Post
But neither do I recall accounts of bomber fornmations in a raid completely scattering and the raid being aborted.
The attempted raid against the Parnall aircraft factory at Yate, near Bristol, pm 27th September 1940. The 9 Bf 110s of Erprobungsgruppe 210 aborted the raid after being attacked by 504 Squadron.

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 4th June 2021, 18:22

James A Pratt III is on a distinguished road

I have read that in this period RAF pilots sometimes mistook Bf 110s for Do-17s. Having looked at a early war aircraft ID book it only contained drawings of early Do-17s.