Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 2nd October 2005, 21:54
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road
Re: Defected Allied Pilots?

It was certainly an awful lot further to Malta than 55 miles, hence the additional belly fuel tank. My apologies for not looking it up but try ten times as far, as a rough estimate.

It is worth pointing out that at least two Spitfires were landed back on the aircraft carriers after launching for Malta - one indeed on the Wasp that very trip. Another was landed on Indomitable during the early stages of Pedestal. An earlier example, of course, was the recovery of 43 Sq's Hurricanes from Norway onto Glorious. A shame the Kriegsmarine intervened later.

However, this was certainly a difficult piece of flying and not to be attempted if there was some doubt about the undercarriage. By itself, this would be no reason to cast doubt upon the pilot involved.
Old 3rd October 2005, 01:03

Martin Gleeson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hallo,

Robert,

Sorry for causing some confusion re. the undercarriage problem. Again using Walcott's debriefing statement of 23 November 1942, though this refers to his initial attempt to land on the highway in North Africa, he states only one wheel came down when the undercarriage was lowered.

Even if his two wheels failed to retract after take off and stayed down Walcott had no training or experience in landing on an aircraft carrier - or taking off for that matter ! Neither did any of the other pilots.

Alex,

55 miles from the Algerian coast and 660 miles from Malta. This from MALTA: THE SPITFIRE YEAR 1942, page 201.

Regards,

Martin.
Old 3rd October 2005, 01:34
Alter Hase

Juha is on a distinguished road

IIRC none of the 10 46 Sqn pilots (Graham, my recollection is that the sqn was 46 not 43) who all landed their Hurricanes successfully onto carrier HMS Glorius off Norway in May 40 had any prior experience on carrier landings. And same goes to the 10 263 Sqn pilots who did the same with their Gladiators on same day. OK, Gladiator was probably easier to land on carrier than Spitfire. And as Graham wrote some did the feat during Malta ops. But as I wrote earlier that is probably beyond normal call of duty.
Juha
Old 3rd October 2005, 09:57
Alter Hase

46 is correct: my apologies. I'd like to blame typing rather than memory.....moral is "always check".
Old 3rd October 2005, 15:21
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Defected Allied Pilots?

Hello,

Thank you ALL for the very good thread that this has turned out to be.

For once it has not gone into the more often diatribe of personal views and claims and blames.

Well done chaps, and thank you for clearing up one of the odd stories that has been out there for a while re this Spitfire pilot Walcott.

Have I missed it in the threads or does anyone know which units he served with in the USAAF?

Alex
Old 3rd October 2005, 20:51
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Hi guys

I am having trouble posting messages/replies! Hope this one reaches the parts others have by-passed! Martin has summed up the Bud Walcott affair correctly, and I trust that the entries in SPITFIRES OVER MALTA are acceptable. The big mistake in the original MALTA THE SPITFIRE YEAR is that I assumed Walcott had been court-martialled, whereas he was promptly transferred to the USAF on his return to UK following his release from Vichy hands. Another American in the RAF, my dear friend Leo Nomis similarly escaped a court-martial after he had 'borrowed' a Spitfire while based at Malta, and set out to strafe targets in Sicily at night! A completely unauthorised flight! He was ordered over the radio to return and was promptly arrested on landing back at Malta. His punishment - he was sent to Egypt forthwith, there to join the elite 92 Spitfire Squadron! Leo passed away a couple of years ago but not before I had helped him write his memoirs. I have a few copies available at a resonable price. It is called THE DESERT HAWKS.
Old 3rd October 2005, 22:25
Alter Hase

Alex: it was the 346th FS.
Old 3rd October 2005, 22:52

Hallo all,

Glad to have helped on Walcott. As noted in my first post he was commissioned into the USAAF in London very soon after his return to the UK. He was assigned to the 346th Fighter Squadron, 350th Fighter Group in December 1942. As he was the newest pilot - there may not have been time for him to even test a P-39 - he along with another pilot and some ground crew travelled by ship to North Africa. They reached Algeria on 1 February 1943. Walcott stayed with this unit until late December 1943 when he contacted some disease/illness which left him temporarily blind. He was sent back to the USA only at this point.

Unfortunately I have absolutely no idea which units he served with after that, but naturally am still working on it !

Regards,

Martin.
Old 5th October 2005, 10:56
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Hi

I AM STILL EXPERIENCING PROBLEMS WHEN TRYING TO RESPOND OR POST A NEW THREAD - PLEASE BEAR WITH ME.

I HAVE RECEIVED AN ENQUIRY RE THE PRICE OF LEO NOMIS'S MEMOIRS - IT WAS PUBLISHED AT £15.99 BUT I CAN DO IT FOR £7.50 PLUS POSTAGE. I WILL SIGN EACH COPY AND DEDICATE IT IF REQUIRED. I HAVE ONLY A FEW COPIES, SO IT'S A MATTER OF FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED!

BRIAN CULL (aka AUTHOR)
Old 6th October 2005, 00:20

Hallo Brian,

I have at least 15 books that you have written or co-authored. Can you please let us know the status of the following projects you were working on ?

THE STORM BEFORE THE BLITZ
TALLY HO ! (Battle of Britain fighter claims)
FIGHTERS OVER DARWIN
WITH THE YANKS IN KOREA, Vol. 2
THE SIX-DAY WAR IN THE AIR

and anything else besides the 'friendly fire' works.

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.