Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 28th July 2014, 21:43

mikew156 is on a distinguished road
Lancaster LL962 of 625 Sqn - Stuttgart Raid, 28th/29th July 1944

In remembrance of the crew of LL962
P/O Harry Humphrey Tuck Pilot aged 21; from Manchester
Sgt Frederick Bert Dean Flight Engineer aged 19; from Dorset
F/O Alan Joseph Hewetson Navigator aged 33; from Gainsborough
F/O Robert Garner Morrison Air Bomber aged 22; from Hamilton
Sgt Patrick Laurence Dowling Wireless Op aged 22; from Dublin
F/Sgt Allan W Maxwell (RCAF) Air Gunner aged 21; from Toronto
Sgt Clifford Frank Allen Air Gunner aged 21; from Tamworth

70 years ago today....

Lancaster LL962 took off from RAF Kelstern at 21:20 hrs on the 28th of July 1944. Its crew were tasked with supporting the Pathfinders of the 494 Lancasters that were sent to Stuttgart.
In the early hours of the next morning, LL962 crashed near to the village of Rauwiller in Alsace eastern France; the pilot, rear gunner and navigator had been killed and the flight engineer had been seriously wounded. The air bomber, wireless operator and mid-upper gunner had also escaped the aircraft by parachute and were alone in enemy territory.

I became interested in this crew due to the fact that Alan Hewetson was buried alongside a 156 Sqn crew whose air bomber I have a connection with. When I first discovered this, I was I determined that I would try to find out more about him and this has inevitably led to more extensive research of him and his crew. Indeed I have spent as much rewarding time researching the crew of LL962 as I have the 156 Sqn crew of ND454.

During the last ten years it has been my pleasure and honour to have corresponded with the families of Allan Maxwell, Patrick Dowling, Robert Morrison, Bert Dean and Alan Hewetson. It was my particular honour to be able to liaise between Alan Hewtson’s niece and his widow who had either not seen or had become separated from the wonderful collection of photographs that I was able to pass on.

I'd like to send my thanks to all those who have helped me in my research during the last ten years including Gordon Leith (RAF Museum), Theo Boiten, Pierre Herrbach, Nick Holland, Kim Hitchiner, M. & Mdm Wehrung of Schalbach, Nic Lewis (Sec. of the 625 Sqn Assoc.) and the owners, administrators and members of forums such as this.

I would be very pleased to hear from anyone with connections to any of the aircrew from LL962. I would particularly like to hear from the families of Harry Tuck and Clifford Allen or anyone who knows anything about them and also anyone from Rauwiller who knows anything about the crash.
I'd also welcome enquiries or collaborations from anyone interested in this crew or the operation to Stuttgart on the 28th/29th of July 1944.

Best regards.

Mike