Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 21st September 2006, 23:35

marsyao
Mr Christopher Shore's new project

Just read this pleasant news from stone&stone:

"I have been promising for years to rewrite Fighters over the Desert and Fighters over Tunisia. At last I have this project underway, but in a rather different format. I am doing a full air coverage (fighters, bombers, recce etc, but still from all sides, as before) covering the Desert war and Tunisia, but going on to include the invasions of Sicily and Italy, the Italian Campaign, the Aegean air fighting, the invasion of Southern France and the operations of the US 15th Air Force.
"I reckon this will take me between 5 and 10 years to complete in several volumes. I shall be joined by a number of co-authors, fellow researchers etc, which will vary volume-to-volume. Those joining 'the team' will include a number of well-known names in aviation history and writing. Of course, if we find the first volume or two are not well-received, then we shall stop. It is intended that format will be rather like that of the recent 2nd Tactical Air Force rewrites—i.e. regular, clear, maps, some colour sideviews of aircraft, and good, clear photos, plus day-by-day listings of claims and losses. The series has been designed to slot with the two Malta books (Hurricane Years and Spitfire Year), Air War for Yugoslavia, Greece and Crete 1940-41, and Dust Clouds in the Middle East, and to an extent with the Bloody Shambles/Burma books, so that hopefully when we finish there will be a complete coverage of all air war in the Mediterranean and Middle East areas. "I have one additional book well-advanced at present. Many readers will recall that the RCAF 'Ace', Rod Smith, died in very tragic circumstances two or three years ago. He had been working on his autobiography when he died, and his family have asked me to complete it. I have been given all the papers, photos etc, relating both to him and to his brother Jerry (also a quite successful Spitfire pilot on Malta in 1942), and I am close to completing this work at the present time."
Old 22nd September 2006, 09:53

Jim Oxley is on a distinguished road
Re: Mr Christopher Shore's new project

Always nice to know what one of my favourite authors is up to.

Can't say though that I am all that enthused by the re-write of Fighters over the Desert and Fighters over Tunisia using the "2nd Tactical Air Force" book format. I find that style is too brief and too clinical when compared to the far more readable, and personable, 'Bloody Shambles' or 'Air War for Yugoslavia, Greece and Crete 1940-41'.

2nd TAC, whilst a very good reference book, has very little heart. The style of layout and presentation is not one that holds the interest cover to cover. Now Shores earlier books are more human in approach, and are written to be read form cover to cover.

Last edited by Jim Oxley; 23rd September 2006 at 11:39.
Old 23rd September 2006, 03:41
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Oxley
'Air War for Yugoslavia, Greece and Crete 1940-41'.
That topic would also fully deserve the renewed attention of the author. Personally, I would welcome an updated and extended edition of that particular book.
Old 23rd September 2006, 16:38

Antoine is on a distinguished road

Hello, Dénes.
What do you mean exactly by extended?
I mean, which subject on this book need to be extended, or which is the subject this book must be extended to?
Just wondering.
Old 23rd September 2006, 22:18
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine
Hello, Dénes.
What do you mean exactly by extended?
I mean, which subject on this book need to be extended, or which is the subject this book must be extended to?
Just wondering.
I meant specifically the air war over Yugoslavia. Lots of new info and photos have surfaced since, from both sides, which would greatly enhance the accuracy of a would-be revisited version of the book.
Old 24th September 2006, 10:29

Jaap Woortman

Dénes and Antoines,

And then I hope that the printing of the photo material will be better then in the reprint of 1999 of the book. That quality is not necessairy anymore. And then I have said it in a nice way.

Jaap
Old 8th October 2007, 12:28

phasselgren is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsyao View Post
Just read this pleasant news from stone&stone:

"I have been promising for years to rewrite Fighters over the Desert and Fighters over Tunisia. At last I have this project underway, but in a rather different format. I am doing a full air coverage (fighters, bombers, recce etc, but still from all sides, as before) covering the Desert war and Tunisia, but going on to include the invasions of Sicily and Italy, the Italian Campaign, the Aegean air fighting, the invasion of Southern France and the operations of the US 15th Air Force.
"I reckon this will take me between 5 and 10 years to complete in several volumes. I shall be joined by a number of co-authors, fellow researchers etc, which will vary volume-to-volume. Those joining 'the team' will include a number of well-known names in aviation history and writing. Of course, if we find the first volume or two are not well-received, then we shall stop. It is intended that format will be rather like that of the recent 2nd Tactical Air Force rewrites—i.e. regular, clear, maps, some colour sideviews of aircraft, and good, clear photos, plus day-by-day listings of claims and losses. The series has been designed to slot with the two Malta books (Hurricane Years and Spitfire Year), Air War for Yugoslavia, Greece and Crete 1940-41, and Dust Clouds in the Middle East, and to an extent with the Bloody Shambles/Burma books, so that hopefully when we finish there will be a complete coverage of all air war in the Mediterranean and Middle East areas. "I have one additional book well-advanced at present. Many readers will recall that the RCAF 'Ace', Rod Smith, died in very tragic circumstances two or three years ago. He had been working on his autobiography when he died, and his family have asked me to complete it. I have been given all the papers, photos etc, relating both to him and to his brother Jerry (also a quite successful Spitfire pilot on Malta in 1942), and I am close to completing this work at the present time."
Any news of when the first of these books will be released?

Peter
Old 8th October 2007, 13:56

Russell is on a distinguished road

Peter,

Exact dates no. But not in time for this Christmas. The re-write is up to approx mid 41. Chris is still on holidays at the moment. Chris is aiming to have three Volumes to cover to Torch, then more upto the Italian surrender etc etc as is set out above.

Regards

Russell
Old 8th October 2007, 14:03

phasselgren is on a distinguished road

Thanks Russel,

Not in time for Christmas but it sounds like we can hope for the first book during next year.

Regards
Peter
Old 13th October 2007, 13:34
Alter Hase

Pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dénes Bernád View Post
That topic would also fully deserve the renewed attention of the author. Personally, I would welcome an updated and extended edition of that particular book.
True but- he is first at all to write such a subject and no one from former Yugoslavia did that subject, no matter of all available documents and materials. So all glory to Christopher Shore- he did what no one before him did. Hope that he will make this book revision.
Owner: www.sreckobradic.com
Owner: www.warplanes-zine.com
Email: srecko.warplane@gmail.com
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/LetLet...s/308234397758