Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 19th November 2009, 14:48

ChristianK is on a distinguished road
Info request - Ju 88 T/S "RG+RW"

Gentlemen,

photos of this plane (from the James Crow collection) can be found e.g. in Kagero's "Junkers Ju 88" Vols 1+2. According to www.stammkennzeichen.de this should be a D-model, Werknummer 430827, attached to E-Stelle Rechlin in August 1944 at least.
Given it started its life as a D-variant, "RG+RW" obviously had been modified to a S- or T-model at a later stage.

Do we know anything else about this aircraft, e.g. at which location it was found at the war's end, to which unit it belonged when it was abandoned (the colored spinner tips point to an operational unit) or do we have any other photos that show it from another angle or which could verify the exact production variant?

Regards,
Christian

Last edited by ChristianK; 9th August 2012 at 12:40.
Old 19th November 2009, 18:33
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road
Re: Info request - Ju 88 T/S "RG+RW"

Christian:

In my opinion I shurely think a Ju 88 D-1 (Recce) model in 0430xxx range whould become a T-1 (High-Speed Recce) if fitted with Ju 88 G type wings, BMW 801 engines, retaining short fuselage, Bola removed, and smooth glass nose fitted. (Ju 88 H-1 Long fuselage´s with W.Numbers close to this are known conversions from D-1´s). There are other known with RG+R codes close to this (e.g. D-1 430813 RG+RI wreck in Norway is one) so full number should have been 0880430827 and first flight at Bernburg in middle of May 1943. Other unit assignments (than stated abowe) are unknown to me.

Coloured spinners however indicate it may have had other assignment before or after Rechlin, but may simply be parts taken from others. Exact location is not known and it does not appear in British A.I.2(g) lists of captured machines or wrecks - then Amercan Zone likely.

cheers
ed
Old 19th November 2009, 19:52

Peter Achs is on a distinguished road

The Ju 88 was built as an Ju 88 T-1 by Junkers in Merseburg. These T-1 from Merseburg were no “conversions” but built from new “Großbauteile” from the D-1 (which never saw Bernburg.)

After the first flights at Merseburg in July 1943 the aircraft was transferred and converterd into a flying testbed for jet engines at Staaken. Since May 1944 the E-Stelle Rechlin and Lärz used the Ju 88 for testflights with the BMW 003 (e.g. 003/061 and 074). The photos of the RG+RW were taken at Neubiberg.

Regards
Peter
Old 19th November 2009, 20:10

S Sheflin will become famous soon enough

Peter,

Very interesting information indeed. Regarding RG+RW being photographed at Neubiberg, for 30+ years I have made a study of all the aircraft found there and have never come across this Ju 88. If it was indeed found there, it would be an exciting addition. Would you possibly share your source for this information?

Steve Sheflin
Old 20th November 2009, 18:45

Thanks Ed and Peter for the additional info. I also would be interested in the source for this photo being taken in Neubiberg.
As well as Steve, I am sceptical about this. The setting in the photos of RG+RW just don't gives the feel of Neubiberg. It has always been my loose assumption that those photos were taken in northern-central Germany, maybe in the Braunschweig-Magdeburg area.

Cheers,
Christian
Old 20th November 2009, 23:00

SMF144

Hi Christian,

You seem to be asking a lot of questions which are all over the place. Would you mind sharing to the audience of 12 OCH what you are doing with the information collected?

Thank you,
Stephen
Old 21st November 2009, 01:34

Hi Stephen,

some are modelling related, others for my personal historical research, some I do ask for other people. Some questions relate to more than one of these fields. To be more specific: "RG+RW" might be a modelling project some time and I like to get as much information as possible about my projects, even if they won't be started in the near future.

Regards,
Christian
Old 23rd November 2009, 17:36

ArtieBob will become famous soon enough

Steve,

IMHO, I was the the source of the original print of this photo, and printed it about 40 years ago from a collection of negatives taken at the end of WWII by a GI whose home was in Michigan. I would have to do a little research, based on the other photos taken at this location and see if iI can come up with a tentative location, but don't have the time right now. There was no information I was given by the person who took the photos as to the location and I believe he is no lomger alive. So, I am not certain where Peter might have gotten his information.

Best Regards,

Artie Bob
Old 24th November 2009, 11:44

Thanks Artie for your offer. It would be great if you could give a clue to the location, I am looking forward to your findings.

Kind regards,
Christian
Old 24th November 2009, 15:34

Peter Achs is on a distinguished road

The attached photo of the RG+RW comes from a series of photos of an old US(?)-ebay auction. The owner gave the location “Neubiberg”. The Lechfeld area seems also possible.

Last edited by Peter Achs; 8th September 2015 at 21:15.