Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 9th August 2007, 18:53
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
PRU Mosquito lost on 30/03/1945

Good night to all!
I am verifying some losses on PRU Mosquitos and had some trouble with P/O Raymond Morris Hays ( Can/J88928 ) who lost his life on thee 30th March 1945.
On the RCAF archives it is said he lost his life aboard Mosquito MM386 ( bu this serial is of on PRXVI given to the USAAF )
Another source ( Me 262 Combat Diary by Foreman ) it is said that a Mosquito serial RF971 was shot down this day by a JG 7 Me 262. Again checking some files, I found that RF971 was claimed to have been lost on 25th March 1945.
The possible Mosquito in which P/O Hays lost his life is MM396 who stalled while taking off from Benson on the 30th March 1945, but I do not know if the crew died of injuries, from this accident.

Please, could someone help me to:
1- Identify the crew of Mosquito RF971 and inform me when it was shot down?
2- Clarify IF MM396 was in fact the Mosquito flown by P/O Hays? If yes, who was his navigator on the tragical take off? Did he died too?

Thanks in advance for all help given

Sincere and friendly yours

Adriano
Old 9th August 2007, 19:49

Amrit1 is on a distinguished road
Re: PRU Mosquito lost on 30/03/1945

Hi Adriano,

I don't know how much help this is but one other 544 Sq member died on the 30th, F/Lt Donald South (navigator):

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_...sualty=2437094

and both Hays & South are buried in Oxford.

And
MM386 is reported in an accident whilst being flown by Robert G Grimes KCRL (killed in crash landing) of 653rd BS, 25 BG (R). (6th Nov 1944)

http://www.aviationarchaeology.com/s...y/Nov1944O.htm

However, the American Battle Monuments Commission doesn't have any details of Grimes but there is another entry for 653rd BS:

Clarence W. Jodar
First Lieutenant, U.S. Army Air Forces
Service # O-874312
653rd Bomber Squadron, 25th Bomber Group, Heavy
Entered the Service from: Wisconsin
Died: 6-Nov-44
Buried at: Plot D Row 1 Grave 42
Cambridge American Cemetery
Cambridge, England Awards: Air Medal with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters, Purple Heart

Old 10th August 2007, 16:16
Alter Hase

Amrit1,Thank you for your helpful answer. I do guess that Hays crashed with F/L South aboard MM396, but the rather information that they "stalled" the bird seems strange, as Hays had previously on 16th March avoided several attacks by German fighters ( including a Me 163 Komet who claimed the Mossie ). I am wondering if they suffered any problems like engine failure, fire aboard, etc...He was very experienced to have crashed or stalled the plane by himself ( Human Error ). It seems strange indeed.Thanks again, I will keep researching this fact.YoursAdriano
Old 11th August 2007, 14:48

rafcommands is on a distinguished road

Hi Adriano,

RF971
Missing on mission to Swinemunde and Stettin. Took off RAF Benson 11:30 hrs 25/03/45

F/L S M MacKay
F/O A S Lobban

Both PoW.

Regards
Ross
Old 11th August 2007, 22:52
Norman Malayney

Gentlemen,

It definitely is not MM386:
Delivered Burtonwood 4 May 1944
25th BG Rcn.
653 Squadron, O-Oboe
Accident 6 November 1944
Pilot R. C. Grimes
Navigator C. W. Jodar, both KIA

The crew of Lts. Robert C. Grimes/Clarence W. Jodar (MM386) flew a weather flight to Germany. The crew encountered adverse weather on return to Watton and diverted to North Pickenham, again because of very strong crosswinds at Watton. Flying on starbaord engine only because of fuel shortage, the pilot prepared for an emergency belly landing when contact was lost. On descent, the Mosquito flew into a row of trees shearing off six feet of the left wing. This caused the aircraft to roll over on to its back, then crash inverted into a field and explode upon impact. Both crew members were killed instantly. The tragedy occurred near the Wending Schoolhouse at approximaatley 2110 hours.

Norman Malayney
Old 12th August 2007, 00:54
Alter Hase

Hi Norman!
This is from the RCAF site I mentioned before:

HAYS, P/O Raymond Morris (J88928) - Distinguished Flying Cross - No.544 Squadron (deceased) - Award effective 24 April 1945 as per London Gazette of that date and AFRO 918/45 dated 1 June 1945. American in the RCAF. Born 1913 in Ashland, Oregon; home in Long Beach, California. Trained at No.6 ITS, No.20 EFTS and No.16 SFTS. Commissioned July 1944. Killed in action 30 March 1945 (Mosquito MM386); buried in United Kingdom.

This officer was the pilot of an aircraft detailed for a reconnaissance covering the Leipzig area in March 1945. Whilst over the target, two enemy fighters attempted to close in. Pilot Officer Hays took violent evading action. Much height was lost. At this stage another enemy aircraft joined the fight. Pilot Officer Hays manoeuvred with great skill and although his aircraft was hit he succeeded in evading the attackers. The starboard engine had been badly damaged but course was set for home. Later on the return flight the aircraft was attacked by another fighter. Pilot Officer Hays manoeuvred with superb skill. Although the aircraft sustained further damage and the navigator was wounded, this pilot succeeded in evading the fighter. He afterwards flew to a landing ground in Allied territory. This officer, who has completed many sorties, has consistently shown courage and resolution.

It seems more probable that this accident was with MM396. But on the record of Mosquito serial numbers, I found that MM396 stalled on take off. ( Very strange that a very experienced crew would stall a Mosquito in normal conditions. I am trying to discover IF they suffered any kind of mechanical failure like: engine fire, the lost of a propeller, etc...)
Very useful information. Thanks to both of you and Rafcommand, whose name I do not know!
Yours sincerely as ever
Adriano