Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 22nd November 2014, 13:11

Schlageter is on a distinguished road
SG 151 in Denmark 1945

Hello all,

I have questions concerning I./SG 151 based at Grove 1945. After the Gruppe's departure from the Eastern front and its combat missions in February 1945, which purpose did I./SG 151 serve in Denmark?

Was it again a mere training/replacement role or did they fly any operational sorties from Grove? There are no further details (besides losses) given in Stankey/de Zeng's books and also Carlsen/Meyer's Die Flugzeugführer-Ausbildung der Deutschen Luftwaffe gives no indication about any activities.

After reading several autobiographies from Luftwaffe pilots who served in the last months of the war in Denmark (Zengerli Der Flieger von Orscholz, Keller Der verhinderte Jagdflieger, Hochhaus Für fünf Pfennig Haumichblau), I got the impression there was a lot of Luftwaffe air activity with Bf 109 and Fw 190 in that area, mainly directed against Allied fighter bombers and as fighter cover for German naval convoys. Only JG 102 and SG 151 as units equipped with fighter aircrafts were based in that area. Was I./SG 151 involved in aforementioned activities?

Thank you very much in advance for any answers or input to the questions!

Best regards

Michael

Last edited by Schlageter; 22nd November 2014 at 21:04.
Old 23rd November 2014, 21:59

Delmenhorst is on a distinguished road
Re: SG 151 in Denmark 1945

I./SG 151 did not fly any missions while they were in Denmark. I have only spoken to two members of I./SG 151 and they both said that they had very Little fuel allocated and that was used for training. One of the members was a transport pilot and he had one flight in a Fw 190. That was his only flight in a fighter and he was after that officially a Schlachtflieger pilot. If he refused to fly or did not pass the test - well, then he belonged to the infantry.
A lot of the pilots in I./SG 151 were very green pilots right out of flying school but the cadre were very experienced Schlachtfliger pilots with a lot of missions behind them.
Old 24th November 2014, 20:20
Alter Hase

ju55dk will become famous soon enough

I can only agree with Carsten. But just to add a little more. I/SG 151 had a few planes readied for operationel use, but they were never used in that capacity. A lot of them flew to Norway morning 5 may 45. Only the GrpKdr and a few experienced pilot flew south, the same morning.

Junker
Old 26th November 2014, 21:11

Schlageter is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much for your helpful answers! So I guess most operational air activity in Denmark can then be attributed to JG 102 and EJG 1?

Best regards

Michael