Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 7th April 2005, 21:54

Andy Fletcher
Fritz Abel

Could anyone tell me if Olt Fritz Abel of Stab.III/KG3, who recieved the DKiG 09-Sep-42, is the same individual who as a Hptm was MIA 02-Mar-45 whilst serving as St.Kap. 5/KG51?

If it is the same individual has any one got details of his career between the award of the DKiG (09-Sep-42) and his death (02-Mar-45).

Regards

Andy Fletcher
Old 8th April 2005, 09:45

Peter Kassak is on a distinguished road
Re: Fritz Abel

HI Andy,

I researched Abels file year agon in Korlinemuster Aachen.
It is not very well preserved, but some early data are present. At first, yes it is the same person who served with KG 3 and later was shot down as StaKa 5/KG 51 on March 2, 1945. About his fate see mine forthcomming book about 2. march 1945 airbattle...:
http://mmpbooks.biz/books/forthcoming.html

What can I write u now is as follows:
----------------------
Hptm. Friedrich Wilhelm August Abel, born on 28.November 1919 at Wintenberg/ Westfallen.
After pilot training flew with III. and IV./ KG 3 over England. Later become a staffelkapitän of 4./ KG 3. Has been twice wounded. When in January 1944 III./ KG 3 become II./ KG 51, Lt. Abel was with the Group. Pilots slowly changed their Ju 88s for Me 410 for a while and later starter to fly Me 262. Abel was shot over Nijmegen, Holland on March 2, 1945 while flying Me 262 A-2a W.Nr. 110553 (9K+EN).
---------------------------
Why are U interested in this man? Can U add some more info to his short bio I wrote? Any help appreciated...

also: Zerstorer Research Work Group,
"Geschichte des Zerstörergeschwader 76"

Last edited by Peter Kassak; 8th April 2005 at 10:00.
Old 8th April 2005, 18:06

Andy Fletcher
Re: Fritz Abel

Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for the info.

I've no specific interest in Fritz Abel, I just noticed that a pilot of that name was awarded the DKiG and another the RK so wandered if it was the same pilot, and as I have an general interest in the careers of Luftwaffe pilots I thought I'd ask if anyone knew.

One point I'd make is I thought that II/KG51 was re-designated III/KG3 in Jan44 and II/KG51 was reformed from V/KG2 in Feb44. Where as you say that III/KG3 was re-designated II/KG51 in Jan44. I'm going from Micheal Holm's site

http://www.ww2.dk/air/kampf/kg51.htm
http://www.ww2.dk/air/kampf/kg3.htm

Regards

Andy Fletcher