Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 25th March 2008, 09:34

Jan Arne S is on a distinguished road
Re: Norwegian Pilots in Luftwaffe

PS ! Dont know if it allowed to post pics of WSS personel ? If it`s not let me know and I will remove the pics . Photo of Alf Halvdan Lie .

Jan Arne
Old 25th March 2008, 09:38

And here is article writen of Odd Ellingsen about his fallen friend in KM .
And it is signed Odd Ellingsen , Obergefreiten and "TrainingPilot"
Dont know if he ever get to be a Pilot , but at lest he was training to be one .

Jan Arne
Old 26th March 2008, 13:56

B.F.M. Droog is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

Here's some information on Norwegians in the Luftwaffe:

'Norwegians in the service of the German Luftwaffe were much the same as those in the Kriegsmarine. No national unit was ever formed, and an accurate total is, once again, not known. There were likely between 1-3,000 such volunteers. Much like the Norwegian NS party Hirdmarinen and Unghirdmarinen, there also existed an air-related youth branch, the equal of the German Flieger-Hitlerjugend, called the Hirdens Flykorpset. It too provided young recruits to the German Luftwaffe, the first batch being transfered in 1943.'
Source: Norwegian Volunteers in the German Wehrmacht in WWII

The Hirdens Flykorpset

This organization was the Hird Air Section of the National Union. This group was organized in 1942, and it served mainly as a training ground for entrance into the German Luftwaffe, much like the NSFK in Germany itself. (The NSFK served to train Germans prior to entrance into the actual Luftwaffe, and the Hitlerjugend had its own form of NSFK designed to specifically train HJ members prior to entrance into the Luftwaffe). The first group of trained members from the Hirdens Flykorpset was sent to the Luftwaffe in February, 1943. Members of this organization were trained in principals of gliding and powered flight.

Source: Norwegian Collaborationish Forces During WWII

See also:
Norwegian Legion Military and Feldpost History

And maybe this site will contain some relevant information: Nordic Aviation during WW2

Regards,

Bart
Old 26th March 2008, 14:52

Mikkel Plannthin

Bard,
Thanks for the info, but again no definitive answers and very unclear information on the sources of the texts. From the text I gather, that "the Hirden Flykorpset" is a civil, though nazi unt, and not Luftwaffe. Is this true?

And even in the information is true, there is no definitive information on pilots.

I do not think, www.rafandluftwaffe.info holds ruther information, but Knut Larsson may no more than the info registrered on the site.

Mikkel
Old 26th March 2008, 15:02

B.F.M. Droog is on a distinguished road

Hello Mikkel,

From what I figured out of these texts, the Hirden Flykorpset was a para-military organization. Not Luftwaffe, indeed.

I don't know if these texts are reliable information. Don't know the sources.

As for information regarding Norwegian Luftwaffe pilots: I remember having visited a site with information concerning these pilots, but can't remember how I ended up there - must have been when I was looking for information regarding one of the many RAF Squadrons I'm researching.

Maybe the maker(s) of this site knows more: Luftfarts Historisk Forening Tromso (Aerial History Union Tromso?)
Or Olve Dybvig from Luftwaffe in Norway.

Regards and congratulations with your 'senior member'ship,

Bart

Last edited by B.F.M. Droog; 26th March 2008 at 15:18. Reason: extra sites found
Old 26th March 2008, 18:49

Seaplanes will become famous soon enough

The Hirdens Flykorps (Hirdens Air Corps) was a para-military organisation under control of the Norwegian nazi party, Nasjonal Samling (National Union) and subordinated to the Rikshirdstaben (the National Hird staff).
It started out as the Hirdens flyveavdeling (Hirdens aviation department) on 15 August 1941 under the command of Reidar Aagaard from Oslo. As no motorized aviation was allowed by the Germans, only gliders were used. They had to be made airborne by the use of wires attaced to trucks or winches. Hirdens Flykorps was formed on 1. March 1942 as a direct continuation of the aviation department. The new Air Corps was organized into 14 flights, covering the entire country. However, only a few were active and some only had a handful of members. Some members received education/training in Germany. These were: 3 members joined the Reichsmodell-flugschule at Lauenburg-Elbe from 21.7. to 9.8.1942, four members to the Reichssegelflugschule Hornberg from 2.8. to 30.9.1942 and finally five members joined the Reichsschule für Fliegertechnische Ausbildung in Dinkelsbuehl about the same time. Later the same autumn five members completed training at the center for Korpsführung in Berlin.
At its peak on 20 August 1944, the Hirdens Flykorps had a total of 416 members. Following a visit to Germany in January 1944 by leading members of the air corps, they succeeded in obtaining several new gliders. One Grunau Baby IIb, one DFS Meise (Olympia) and five SG.38). Only the DFS Meise (Olympia) reached Norway in August 1944 and was registered LN-SCA (W.Nr. 527 and ex.St.kz. LZ+ET). There were no organized recruiting to Luftwaffe from the air corps.
Old 27th March 2008, 10:20

Hi Guys !
Interesting info .
I think to little research has been done about Norwegian in Luftwaffe .

Jan Arne
Old 30th March 2008, 11:04

Hi Guys !
Here is the rest of the article about Hans Bjørn Hæreid .

Jan Arne