Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 20th October 2008, 21:51

Marcel van Heijkop is on a distinguished road
Hptm Walter Schmitt and Hptm Georg Bugislaus

Dear all,

I'm looking for any info on the following 2./KG66 Staffelkapitäne:
  • Hptm Walter Schmitt (*04.04.1911 - MIA 19.03.1944, Feindflug Hull)
  • Hptm Georg Bugislaus (*24.06.1911 - MIA 17.06.1944, Feindflug Vire Mündung)
It seems that Hptm Georg Bugislaus had been a merchant seaman before joining the Luftwaffe. (Something which proved to be handy during the attacks on the British ports in April and May 1944.) Is this correct?

Thanks in advance,

Marcel
Old 21st October 2008, 02:05

Doug Stankey will become famous soon enough
Re: Hptm Walter Schmitt and Hptm Georg Bugislaus

Here is what we have on these fellows:

Two possibilities:
SCHMITT, Walter. (DOB: 04.04.11). (DKG). 01.04.42 promo to Hptm. 13.09.43 Hptm., awarded Ehrenpokal. 01.10.44 Hptm., awarded DKG, KG (unspecified).

SCHMITT, Walter. (DOB: 20.11.15). 01.10.42 promo to Hptm.(DAL/A2).
Which one is the one in question needs clarification.

BUGISLAUS, Georg. (DOB: 24.06.11). (DKG). 01.04.42 promo to Hptm. 13.03.43 in Fluganwärter-Btl. VII. 17.06.44 MIA. 01.01.45 Hptm., awarded DKG, Staka in a Kampfgeschwader.

Your loss data will be added to our personnel database. Anything further on these guys would be appreciated.

We hope that this helps.

LdZ
DGS
Old 22nd October 2008, 01:29

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your input, as always. My data is based on a losses list from the WASt and apart from aircraft and crews I have nothing more on these 2 men.

Walter Schmitt (the one DOB 04.04.11) is still on the Vermisstenbildliste of the Deutsches Rotes Kreuz München, which raises the question (as I'm not an expert on this): Was it possible for German soldiers to be decorated or promoted posthumously? This could explain why Bugislaus and Schmitt got a DKG months after their MIA date. (If I understand your system correctly, that is.)

Best regards,

Marcel
Old 22nd October 2008, 05:30

Spanferkel is on a distinguished road

Marcel,

It was a common occurance in the Luftwaffe for individuals killed in action to be promoted in rank and have higher awards bestowed upon them. I have numerous posthumous groups where this is the case.

One other question, what is your reference source for Schmitt and Bugislaus being staffelkapitan of 2./KG66?? After looking thru Jan Horns "Wir Flogen gen Westen" I see no listing of them as Staffelkapitan or for that matter any listing in general which is not to say they did not at some point serve with the unit.

Regards

Jeremy

www.aufhimmelzuhause.com
Old 22nd October 2008, 16:29

Sources

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the remark about posthumous promotion.

Regarding my sources:
@ Schmitt: I have "Staffelkapitän" under the column of "Stelle" in my WASt data.
@Bugislaus: This assumption is based on interviews with 2./KG66 veterans, but of course I stand corrected! Don't know any other Hauptmann of 2./KG66 at that time though.

Regarding Jan Horns KG6 unit history "Wir Flogen gen Westen" Teil 2, his I./KG66 part goes only as far as the end of August, 1943. (Wonder why even got that far into I./KG66 in the first place...Maybe because it's such a fascinating unit?! I know I'm biased... )

Regards,

Marcel

Last edited by Marcel van Heijkop; 22nd October 2008 at 16:32. Reason: Removed icon
Old 4th February 2010, 20:03

soldbuch is on a distinguished road

Hi
This is my first visit so Hi to all.
I can help with Georg Bugislaus he was made a Staffelkapitan d zielfinderstaffel I/KG 66 on 1.4.44. I have his Soldbuch and Gerd Bugislaus Georg's son cave me photocopies of his personal file from the Bundesarchiv.
Georg was a ships Kapitän auf grosser fahrt and a nautikerbefore the war, the Soldbuch photo shows black collar tabs with propeller. He was put forward for the DKiG on 16.6.44 the day before his death according to one sheet signed by Major Schmidt.
I would like any information on the last flight of Georg Bugislaus as would his son, I keep in regular contact with Gerd, he has visited me on two occasions to see his fathers soldbuch as he had never seen it before, the second time he brought his son to see it.
No wehrpass exists and the Bundesarchiv has only microfiche copies and no original papers.
Hope this can help in this search.
Soldbuch
Old 8th February 2010, 23:22

Thanks Soldbuch, check your PM.

Marcel