Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 21st January 2018, 22:13
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road
Re: Alfonso G Seagraves, RAF and USAAF pilot, MIA 13 June 1945

The distinction "inside or outside the ZI" probably is used for the East and West Coast Memorails for USAAF men.

I thought that any USAAF men missing off the USA will be recorded in one of these memorials but it is not the case. By scanning Mireles books, I found several airmen that are shown as being missing at sea after crashes off USA in "local flights" (ie starting from a USA base to return to a USA base) and none is commemorated on one of the two memorials there.

I also checked the 121 airmen listed on the West Coast Memorial. I started in 1941 and stopped my check in mid-1943: all the men for which I found loss details (36 on 48, 75%) were lost in the Canal Zone or during deployment flights to Hawaii. The 12 other are not listed in Mireles and so were not "local losses from USA".

So it seems "normal" that Seagraves/Segraves was not on the West Coast Memorial, even if he was missing at sea.
Old 21st January 2018, 23:01
Alter Hase

RSwank is on a distinguished road
Re: Alfonso G Seagraves, RAF and USAAF pilot, MIA 13 June 1945

Laurent,

Interesting analysis. I was not aware of exactly how the determination was made. Segraves' omission then makes sense. I have researched men who went missing when they started flying the Northern or Southern routes to Europe and they would show up on the East Coast Memorial.

Thanks