Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 29th May 2019, 08:14
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: German raider boasts of machine-gunning English women?

And to add to what Andrew said about tall tales, later in the war there’s constant competition between the prisoners over who can dream up the biggest and best secret weapon that he’s seen. I felt that Neitzel and his psychologist co-author tended to over-analyse what sounds at times exactly like young blokes showing off.
Old 29th May 2019, 08:19

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road

With respect to post # 9 - you are absolutely right, his name was Hubert Greim without the "von" in his father's name. The reason for this was that his family was not part of the nobility so that they would have had the "von" by birth. Instead father Greim was bestowed with the lowest degree of nobility - Ritter von = knight of - for his exploits as a pilot in WWI, which could not be passed on and inherited by his son, who therefore was born as just Hubert Greim.

Sorry for my mistake.

KR

Jochen Prien
Old 29th May 2019, 08:48

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough

Nick, my thoughts exactly on the Neitzel book. The reports are an interesting and sometimes valuable source, but should be treated with caution.

And Jochen, definitely no need to apologize. My correction on his name in post #9 probably came across a little harsher than intended! However, I've seen the same mistake repeated on numerous occasions on the Internet, so thought I should clarify it in this thread.

Cheers,
Andrew A.
Air War Publications - www.airwarpublications.com/earticles
Old 29th May 2019, 10:33
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough

Andrew

I have correctly quoted the following:

Soldaten On Fighting, Killing, and Dying The Secret World War II Transcripts of German POWs
Neitzel,Soenke & Harald Welzer
Melbourne:Scribe,2012 (P/B)
p.65 fn.115

(p.362) fn.115 - SRA 828 26 October 1940, TNA, WO 208/4120.

If that is wrong, then so am I.

Col.
Old 29th May 2019, 10:56

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough

Col,

Thanks for that - looks like Neitzel and Welzer got it wrong.

Cheers,
Andrew A.
Air War Publications - www.airwarpublications.com/earticles
Old 29th May 2019, 10:59
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Bruggy View Post
Andrew

I have correctly quoted the following:

Soldaten On Fighting, Killing, and Dying The Secret World War II Transcripts of German POWs
Neitzel,Soenke & Harald Welzer
Melbourne:Scribe,2012 (P/B)
p.65 fn.115

(p.362) fn.115 - SRA 828 26 October 1940, TNA, WO 208/4120.

If that is wrong, then so am I.

Col.
It is quite possible that there are several transcripts involving the same individuals. They weren't necessarily bugged just the once. Also, I have never quite sorted out how far airmen’s transcripts are duplicated between the material in the WO 208 (War Office intelligence) and AIR 40 (Air Ministry intelligence) file series.

P.S. And talking, as I was of bragging ... Neitzel implies IIRC that he was the first to find and publish material from these transcripts. I for one beat him to it!
Old 29th May 2019, 14:25

Bombphoon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Arthy View Post
Hi,

His name was Hubert Greim, not von Greim.

These secret recordings are sometimes a useful source, but at other times the Germans were simply boasting and telling tall tales. We came across this while researching our latest eArticle - the pilot was telling his captured colleagues a series of very unbelievable stories about his Luftwaffe career, which we could find no evidence for in German records (in contrast, his account of being shot down matched exactly with British combat reports).

According to his Flugbuch, Greim never flew any Jabo or strafing raids to England, and he served with the Geschwaderstab and 11. Staffel. Neither of those units were involved in tip-and-run operations, so it seems very likely this is a case of a pilot telling tall tales. However, as Jochen says, there were plenty of terror attacks in 1942 and 1943, so the kind of thing he described certainly did occur (as Luftwaffe Fighter-Bombers Over Britain by Chris Goss details on many occasions).

Hubert Greim passed away last year, on 14 October: https://trauer.sueddeutsche.de/todes...e/hubert-greim

Cheers,
Andrew A.
Thanks Andrew.
Old 29th May 2019, 18:54
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

Wasn't it an American author Michael Gannon who actually first used these records?
Old 29th May 2019, 19:29
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post
Wasn't it an American author Michael Gannon who actually first used these records?
Quite possibly, but I don't know his work (he writes about U-Boats, doesn't he?).

I quoted three sentences from an NSG 9 prisoner in "Ghost Bombers" so although I got in early (2001), it wasn't exactly a major exploitation of the reports.

Neitzel said in Soldaten that he and his team indexed all of these reports, which would save a lot of time if the information is publicly accessible anywhere.
Old 29th May 2019, 20:18

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough

David Irving also started a book project on this theme 'Secretly Overheard' in 1988: http://www.fpp.co.uk/books/Overheard/

This project never saw print for various reasons which Irving notes in his post. A reconstruction of his manuscript can be downloaded from here: http://www.fpp.co.uk/books/Overheard/CSDIC.pdf

I am posting this purely for those who might find it helpful. It is not my intention to start a debate about Irving's credentials as a historian.

Last edited by Steve Coates; 30th May 2019 at 18:30.