Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 12th March 2020, 13:29

Shiny1019 is on a distinguished road
Help research Flt Lt PA Woodger RAF in Malta

Hi All,

I'm trying to research a relative, Phillip Alexander Woodger who was shot down in Malta, I believe at some point during August 1942.

I haven't managed to get his service record yet so have no idea what squadron he was part of in Malta but I know he was posted there sometime around December 1941 / January 1942 and that he was captured and sent to Stallag Luft 3.

From the documents I have found on line I know he was captured on the 28th of August 1942 and family story has it that he was captured by the Italians and handed over to the Germans.

I have been trying to find out about the action he was involved in, presumably he was shot down?

I have looked in a book called Air Battle of Malta but he's not named in it and it says that only records crashes and losses over the island but there are 200 more that went down in the sea that haven't been researched.

In case it helps I know he was a survivor of the SS Empire Wave and that it had a catapult launched Hurricane on board so presumably that was what he was flying.

Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot,

Michael
Old 12th March 2020, 18:30

BrianC is on a distinguished road
Re: Help research Flt Lt PA Woodger RAF in Malta

Hi Michael

May I respectfully recommend that you acquire a copy of my 'Spitfires over Malta' for details of Spitfire operations from Malta in 1942.

However, it is noted that Phillip (known as 'Woody' in the RAF, was an American in the RCAF) arrived at Malta on 11 August 1942, having flown a Spitfire off the deck of the aircraft carrier HMS 'Furious'.

On possibly his first operation from Malta, on 27 August, he was shot down in Spitfire EP200/GL-T of 185 Squadron while carrying out a strafing attack on Comiso airfield in Sicily. He made a belly-landing at Marina di Ragusa, and was immediately captured by Italian troops.

Hope this helps.

Brian
Old 12th March 2020, 18:44

Hi Brian,

Thank you so much for that, that is exactly what I was hope to find, my only slight niggle is that he was a Geordie born and bred.

He was born in Newcastle in 1912 but someone told me he was an American in the RCAF on another forum a few months ago.

I think the chances of two Flt Lt Woodger's being shot down on the same day in the same place is pretty remote and him launching from an aircraft carrier matches his earlier service, this has to be him.

I'll get a copy of the book, is that where this story came from?

Thanks again,

Michael
Old 12th March 2020, 19:52
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

62290 Fg Off P A Woodger was POW No 690 in Stalag Luft 3. His service number would indicate he was RAF not RCAF. Commissioned into the RAF 12 Feb 41 NCO number 983080 and promoted to Fg Off 12 Feb 42
Old 12th March 2020, 20:05

Hi Chris,

Thanks very much for the help, he was definitely RAF, could you tell me where you got his NCO's number and promotion date?

Does that mean he joined as an NCO?

I do know he could fly before the war so I had assumed he joined as a pilot.

Thanks again,

Michael
Old 13th March 2020, 09:55
Alter Hase

Michael

Most joined as an airman, were given an airman's number and when commissioned, given a commissioned number (I should know as it happened to me in the 80s). The information I posted came from The London Gazette & a list of captured airmen
Old 13th March 2020, 10:02

Thanks a lot Chris,

I wasn't doubting you I just didn't realise that's how it happened.

Could I ask where the list of captured airmen is? I like to try and get copies of all the primary sources of information for my file if possible.

Thanks again for the help,

Michael
Old 13th March 2020, 10:48
Alter Hase

My copy of the list is sitting on my desk....
Old 13th March 2020, 11:04

Hi Chris,

Could I ask where you got it from, is it something you have made yourself of is it something you have found at the national archives or similar?

As I say I'd love to get a copy of his entry on the list to put in my file.

I have been using a WW2 forum to research Phillip as well and after I shared the fantastic information found on here someone managed to find a photo of his spitfire for me!

Here it is:

https://allspitfirepilots.org/aircraft/EP200

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
Hi Michael

May I respectfully recommend that you acquire a copy of my 'Spitfires over Malta' for details of Spitfire operations from Malta in 1942.

However, it is noted that Phillip (known as 'Woody' in the RAF, was an American in the RCAF) arrived at Malta on 11 August 1942, having flown a Spitfire off the deck of the aircraft carrier HMS 'Furious'.

On possibly his first operation from Malta, on 27 August, he was shot down in Spitfire EP200/GL-T of 185 Squadron while carrying out a strafing attack on Comiso airfield in Sicily. He made a belly-landing at Marina di Ragusa, and was immediately captured by Italian troops.

Hope this helps.

Brian
Hi Brian,

Now my initial excitement has died down a little I have re-read you post and realised you wrote the book you are referring to. Thank you so much for sharing the information from it.

Could I ask if you know where you found the information relating to Phillip? Was it in the National Archives or some other place?

As I mentioned in an earlier post I really like to get copies of primary source information to put in my file so if something like Phillip's log book is out there somewhere or a report into the action I'd love to get a copy.

Thank you again for sharing,

Michael
Old 13th March 2020, 11:42

russg10 is on a distinguished road

Hi Michael,

Just as an aside, you may like to get your relatives MI9 Questionaire 'General Questionaire For British/American Ex-Prisoners of War' from the National Archives in London. This will give you which POW camps he was in, details of any interrogations with the enemy, if he attempted to escape etc.

If you google it there are examples on the web.

Cheers,

Russ