Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 13th March 2020, 00:22

SOkland is on a distinguished road
Identification: Fw 190 shot down at Detroit, France

Hello all,

This might be a long shot but I figured this was the best forum to ask. On 22 October 1943 a Norwegian Spitfire IX pilot (J.Helland, 332 sqd, North Wield) shot down a Fw 190 above Dètroit, France. Anyone able to confirm this and help me identify the unfortunate German pilot? Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards
SOkland
Old 13th March 2020, 10:03
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Identification: Fw 190 shot down at Detroit, France

Another location is near Albert but the trouble is claims at the same time and location were five Fw 190s claimed destroyed, one probably destroyed and three damaged. German units involved were I./JG 3, II and III./JG 2 and II./JG 26. 9./JG 2 lost a Fw 190 in combat with three more damaged. Another case of over optimism?

Last edited by Chris Goss; 17th March 2020 at 18:48. Reason: Clarification of Staffel
Old 13th March 2020, 11:57
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Checking Cato Guhnfeldt and his Spitfire Saga Vol 4 he says basically what Chris says, the place mentioned by the two Norwegian squadrons involved was over or near Albert.

Sgt Johannes Helland was flying MA422 AH-W during the mission.

Claims were made by:
Major Arne Austeen 331Sq: 2 Fw 190 destroyed
Ltn Björn Björnstad 331Sq: 1 Me 109 destroyed
Sgt Paul Coucheron 331Sq: 1 Fw 190 probably destroyed
Sgt Johannes Helland 332Sq: 1 Fw 190 destroyed
Major Kaj Birksted Wing Commander: 1 Fw 190 destroyed

Adding to that John Foreman has also found a claim by:
Capt Svein Heglund 331Sq: 1 Fw 190 damaged
Heglund was on that mission but Guhnfeldt has not located any such claim from the Norwegian.

The other three damaged aircraft mentioned by Chris are most likely those claimed some 10 minutes later over Arras by 129 Sq

Guhnfeldt states that the unit the Norwegians encountered was JG 2 but they in turn gave all their losses in the Arras area.

Cheers
Stig
Old 13th March 2020, 13:40
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

Stig,

Heglund's claim can be found at FC3 11Nov; CR: Air 50/129-91 according to my database.

Does Spitfire Saga give Coucheron's full name? I have him as Paul P M Coucheron, as does Shores & Thomas' 2nd TAF, but I suspect the initial P is a duplicate of Paul.

And, while we are talking Norwegian, is there a source for the service numbers of the aircrew in 333 (Nor) Squadron? It has about 20 claims, but I have no service numbers for them.

Enjoy!

Frank.
Old 13th March 2020, 15:09
Alter Hase

Thanks for that Frank

Coucheron's full name was Paul Peter Montagne, so initials PPM is quite correct.

Sorry, but I have no such things as service numbers for any pilots.

Cheers
Stig
Old 13th March 2020, 15:29
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point

A question, what is approx. the proportion of foreign pilots at that time in the fighter leg of the RAF ??
Rémi
Old 13th March 2020, 17:01
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

Stig,

Thank you. I have just ordered the six volumes of Spitfire Saga. I believe I already have a N-E/E-N dictionary, no knowledge of Norwegian, but a small collection of books in Norwegian.

Paul Peter Montagne Coucheron looks very much like a French name. If so, I wonder how he ended up in a Norwegian squadron. Unless he actually is Norwegian. Maybe Spitfire Saga will enlighten me.

Enjoy!

Frank.
Old 13th March 2020, 17:51
Alter Hase

Frank

First of all there are 7 volumes!
Secondly you are aware they are written in Norwegian with only a few summary pages in English?

Finally if you come across something you cannot comprehend, try me and I will try to help you. I am not Norwegian but their language is much easier to understand than Danish, and I have in general no problems with it. I have quite a few books in Norwegian, some on non-aircraft topics.

Cheers
Stig

PS: When I read the books, I was not paying any attention to Coucheron, so I don't even remember if he has a biography or not in one of the volumes...sorry about that
Old 13th March 2020, 19:54

rof120 is on a distinguished road
Coucheron

Thousands of British family names (or second names) are of French origin, especially since the battle of Hastings (1066) when the French-"Northmen" invaded England.

So Couderchon could be a British pilot in this Norwegian sqdn.

Conversely a large part of France in the SW region was English territory for several centuries and there are typically English names there.

1939-40 there was a French fighter pilot named (Capitaine) O'Byrne. He was perfectly French I think and the CO of 1st escadrille within GC I/4. He shot down a... Swordfish off Dakar, Senegal (an enemy AC after the British attack of French naval ships at Mers-el-Kebir on July 3, 1940).

The Luftwaffe had an Oberleutnant (Flying Officer or Lt) Douglas Pitcairn - not really a nice German name - who was the CO of 1./JG 51 Staffel but it seems that they were rather suspicious of him and soon posted him to the rear.

Last edited by rof120; 14th March 2020 at 00:25.
Old 14th March 2020, 19:01
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Combat reports available here suggest, that a few of the pilots attacked one and the same Fw 190, pilot of which baled out.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/D7467303