Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 16th March 2020, 06:24
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road
Photo Farman F.234

Hello,

Currently on ebay there is a photo of a Farman F.234 captioned as belonging to the Armee de l'air at :

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Aviation-pho...EAAOSwDkleblD~

Has anyone any information on the use of this type in 1939/40?

Regards,

Clint
Old 16th March 2020, 12:29
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Photo Farman F.234

Well Clint

As far as I am concerned, very little info has come out of France regarding both the F.230 series of aircraft as well as their relatives the F.350/360 ranges.

One striking thing which never cease to amaze me when it comes to French aviation, especially during the 1920s and 30s is their obsession with engines.
Every model they built should be capable of swallowing basically every engine (in the correct hp range) that existed on the market!

That means I am not sure we are looking at a F.234 model. All I can say it has a small radial engine, which was not as common as the inline versions.

Unfortunately, during my feeble tries to make a production list of these small aircraft, I quickly noticed there are many irritating gaps, and it is far from complete. Since the type hardly attracted any attention abroad, I confess it has become a small puzzle where the missing aircraft may have gone. Since L.M. does not mention them in his books about Naval aircraft, did the French AF buy some? If they did I have no sources mentioning that (or if they do, I have missed it....)

No gaps with the F.230 aircraft
Two gaps in my F.234 list c/n 14 and 15
One gap in my F.236 list, c/n 2

But it could just as well be an impressed aircraft....

I confess I am just as interested as you are to find out more about this little elusive fellow...

Cheers
Stig
Old 16th March 2020, 12:50
Alter Hase

Hi Stig,

Well, frankly I'm only going on the sellers description in so far as identifying the aircraft as a F.234. I believe the definitive answer to the type lies in finding a complete list of all the (54) CT Corps Techniques codes.Personally that doesn't help too much as I don't have one of those either. You?

As the Corps Techniques was disbanded 1940, any CT coded aircraft not previously lost then become an option for the Armee de l'air and impressment. I'm not necessarily suggesting the machine shown was impressed, as it still wears the CT code, I was just more broadly interested in whether any F.234 were impressed. I believe I've only seen F.231 and F.233.

Edit. I definitely think that it is not a F.234 have looked at photos of the same.Or do I? Damn.

Regards,

Clinrt
Old 16th March 2020, 13:53
Alter Hase

Sorry Clint

I have little or nothing on such obscure French units.
Where did you find any info on the CT (Corps Technique)? 54 aircraft? What did this unit do and why all these aircraft, including our Farman? Technical education/training perhaps?

Tried google but all I'm doing is ending up going in circles without finding anything useful really...

Cheers
Stig
Old 16th March 2020, 14:12
Alter Hase

Hello Stig,

The limited information I found was here:

aeroflight.co.uk/tag/france states that it was a organisation for training aircrews. Not a lot of info at the link either to be honest.

The online AB french civil registration has some aircraft with CT codes, but not alas CT-10.

Regards,

Clint
Old 16th March 2020, 18:27
Alter Hase

Thanks Clint

Quite a few Government units I knew precious little about.
Well, now I at least know what CT stood for...

Cheers
Stig
Old 16th March 2020, 20:47

jschreiber is on a distinguished road

Hello

Basically, the Corps technique was the civil servants group having engineering and test flying responsabilités at the French Air Ministry. The precise contours varied upon time, between 1925 ca (a few dozen people) and 1939 (more than a thousand). Originally, they were coming from the Service technique de l’Aeronautique and usually had military origin. At the end, in 1939, they reverted again from civilian to military statute. The planes allotted to the Corps technique were mainly intended for the training of those people and liaison duties for the same. I don’t remember if some equipment testbed aircrafts were also marked as Corps technique or not.

Best regards

J Schreiber
Old 17th March 2020, 11:18
Alter Hase

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.I don't suppose you have any further information on whether a list exists with the CT- serial numbers?

Regards,

Clint
Old 17th March 2020, 23:56

jschreiber is on a distinguished road

Hello
No, I have no knowledge of such a list. The aircrafts of the Corps technique could make an interesting subject...

Regards
J Schreiber