Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 21st October 2020, 12:41
Alter Hase

ju55dk will become famous soon enough
Re: Help with Word Definition

I have come across it in different files, but allways in context with NJF.
Junker
Old 21st October 2020, 16:35
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan History View Post
Gentlemen,

Thank you for a most enlightening forum discussion!

Even though I really should be doing something else, I became sufficiently interested in the linguistic point to look up the noun 'Jagen' and its definition, see below:

"Ein Jagen ist eine bestimmte abgeschlossene Waldfläche. Dieser Begriff eines Jagen wurde zuerst in Preußen angewandt. Jagen sind meistens durch Waldwege begrenzt und dienten der genauen Zuordnung von bestimmten Waldflächen. Alte Jagen (Walddistrikte) besaßen früher Steine mit Nummern."

http://www.heimat-mecklenburgische-s...ichshagen.html

Thank you, Dan History! The information about the Jagen forest sections being numbered is most interesting because, before we got to the bottom of this and settled on its Luftwaffe definition, i.e., Nachtjagdraumführer, I was certain it referred to a section of land numbered "108".

And thank you Russell and Carsten for the addition information on Major Otto Schmidt. Most appreciated.

Larry deZeng
Old 21st October 2020, 19:10

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road

Hmmm, the reference to properties is interesting, obviously an arcane usage. Sort of like 'Morgen', an old method of measuring the size of a property.
Old 8th November 2020, 09:47

jschreiber is on a distinguished road

Hello

I found unexpectedly the following sentence in Gebhard Aders book "Geschichte der Deutschen Nachtjagd", page 174 :

"(1943) Dezember : Alle wenig durchgeflogene Dunkelnachtjagdräume, die ab jetzt JAGEN heissen, werden aufgelöst. Jagenführer werden die Gruppenkommandeurenn

Roughly translated : December 1943, all less overflown darknigntfight areas, from now named Jagen, are deactivated. The Jagen heads will be the group commanders

Regards

Jean Schreiber

Last edited by jschreiber; 8th November 2020 at 11:08.
Old 8th November 2020, 16:17
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Thank you, Jean; that's very helpful. I have the English edition of Aders' book and I will dig it out of storage and see what I can find.

Larry de Zeng