Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 20th December 2016, 01:51
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough
Re: Hauptmann von Boltenstern

The information that von Boltenstern was NOT shot down by any RAF fighter, but that his loss is as described in 'Zerstörer' by myself and Peter Cornwell came from the following source.

On 4th September, Wolfgang Schenck, fit for flying duties after being wounded in action in May 1940 during the Western Campaign, sought out his old Staffel (1./ZG 1), which was now 1./Erpr. Gr. 210. He reached Denain on that day, and waited in the crew room for the unit to return from a mission against England. When they had landed, Martin Lutz entered the crew room and told Schenck what had happened over the Channel with regard to von Boltenstern. Schenck asked Lutz to fix it so that he could return to his old Staffel, which Lutz did.

The above second paragraph was recounted to me by Wolfgang Schenck in a face-to-face interview with him at one of the 'Wespentreffen' some decades ago, during which I made copious notes of all that he told me.

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!