Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 31st December 2014, 17:09

Maxim1 is on a distinguished road
List of all known WWII Soviet aces (5+ personal victories)

The list is mainly based on two excellent works by Mikhail Bykov ("Soviet aces 1941 - 1945" and "All Stalin's aces 1936 - 1953") with a few additions and corrections.

Some explanations:

Фамилия = family name
Имя, отчество = name, patronymic
Звание = rank (as of the end of the war)
ЛП = личные победы = personal victories
ГП = групповые победы = group or 'shared' victories
Место службы = unit
Вылеты = combat missions
Бои = combats
Награды = awards (ГСС = Герой Советского Союза = Hero of the Soviet Union; ГРФ = Герой Российской Федерации = Hero of the Russian Federation)
Примечание = notes
пак = погиб в авиакатастрофе = killed in flying accident
пбв = пропал без вести = missing in action
плен = taken as POW
погиб = killed due to unknown reason
свб = сбит в воздушном бою = shot down and killed in air combat
сза = сбит зенитной артиллерией = shot down and killed by Flak or ground fire
сос = сбит огнём по своим = shot down and killed by friendly fire
таран = killed during the ramming of e/a
уоб = умер от болезни = died of illness
уор = умер от ран = died of wounds
Old 1st January 2015, 00:23

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough
Re: List of all known WWII Soviet aces (5+ personal victories)

Hi Maksim,

Thanks for sharing this. Most interesting.

Cheers,
Andrew A.
Air War Publications - www.airwarpublications.com
Old 1st January 2015, 13:11
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Nice list Maxim

Since cyrillic is not my best topic, I am curious about line 3086 and 3087 where you list two individuals, one with 1 + 0 in the two columns and the other with 0 + 0. Since that hardly apply to an ace, who were they and why are they included?

Cheers
Stig
Old 1st January 2015, 20:10

Nikita Egorov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Jarlevik View Post
Nice list Maxim

Since cyrillic is not my best topic, I am curious about line 3086 and 3087 where you list two individuals, one with 1 + 0 in the two columns and the other with 0 + 0. Since that hardly apply to an ace, who were they and why are they included?

Cheers
Stig
There is a reference in next column that Shishov has 13 personal and group victories and Suvorov 8 personal and group victories, but all this info came from awards nomination documents. That means operational data for both is missing or has not been found yet.
Old 2nd January 2015, 10:22
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Thanks Nikita

Fair enough...

Cheers
Stig
Old 2nd January 2015, 17:51
Alter Hase

researcher111 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the list which I red ( I speak and read Russian rather good ) what is the roster homologation date on Bykov's book ? e.g. considering Pokrishkin was shiftted from top 4th to the 8th ? for example on all my Russian publications Evstigneev is still listed with 57 ( 53 + 3 ) + 1 unconf. Retschkalov with 62 ( 56 + 6) 3 unconf. and Pokrishkin with 59 (53+6) ? Based on what new facts Bykov homologated the older VVS records ? Off course I planned to buy the book but it may take same time coze I don't live in the Russian Fed.

Last edited by researcher111; 2nd January 2015 at 18:52. Reason: pic
Old 3rd January 2015, 17:14

Maxim1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by researcher111 View Post
Thanks for the list which I red ( I speak and read Russian rather good ) what is the roster homologation date on Bykov's book ?
All the data in Bykov's books came directly from operational documents of VVS IAPs (which are kept in TsAMO and TsVMA) and therefor is as much accurate as it's possible. And yes, in quite a number of cases that data contradicts with old known victory tallies, even for very famous aces (including Kozhedub, Rechkalov, Pokryshkin and others). The reasons for that are numerous. For example, 3 personal victories claimed by Rechkalov in 1941 simply 'disappeared' from all post-War official records because operational documents of 55 IAP were burned during one of the many 1941 retreats. Also, soon after beginning of the war Rechkalov was heavily wounded and when he came back to service in 1942 no one, of course, really cared about his victories. However, the info about Rechkalov's 1941 victories has survived in operational documents of 20 SAD and that's why Bykov included these victories in Rechkalov's tally.
Old 3rd January 2015, 19:16
Alter Hase

researcher111 will become famous soon enough

Maxim

Thank you , very useful information ..are you reffering to the attached photo, if thats the case when was the book printed ? Since you seem well informed
about VVS history , maybe there is something you could help me out on, I am seeking since years the date,place and where Evstigneev's OBE citation can be found
( Order of British Empire ) none of my Russian historian friends nor TzaMO could give even a clue on this . Second of regarding the 55 IAP
records destroyed or lost during the numerous retreats u've mentioned, as far as I can recollect ,I red somewhere Gen.Galunov memoirs stating that
these records were taken along during 55 IAP evac to Crimea, can you indicate the source of your info as into destroyed records ?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by researcher111; 3rd May 2015 at 18:37.