Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 4th September 2006, 18:12

Dan Gilberti
26 February 1944 He 111 Zwilling unknow ...

Dole - Tavaux base in France was a secondary ground of the base of Dijon,bigs planes were observed there and in particular Me 323 and He 111Z.
Am 26 February 1944 in full day of return of a successful "Straffing", (probably on Luxeuil) and in the search of targets of opportunity, two Mosquitos BFR MkVI of the 418° Squad R.C.A.F (Lt Howard Douglas Cleveland (Canadian) and Lt Charles SCHERF (Australian)) will attack one He111Z with 2 Gliders Gothas 242 B1 transporting of the troops at the time of a training flight.
They began the attack with the top of the city of Pares to the camp of Tavaux.
One people from Dole observed the scene and took a photograph.
The "Train flying" of almost 300 meters length will lose a first Gotha, detached violently and which will leave to be probably crushed in the sector BAVERANS (near Dole).
While fleeing in direction of Tavaux, it will lose the second gothawhich will be posed without large damage near the zone of the crash landing, the cable will damage the tiles of the Mill of ACORT near CHOISEY.
Continued by SCHERF and CLEVELAND, which drew a very great number of ammunition, the giant plane of which three of the engines were touched will still lose its central engine and after a slow fall in spiral will be crushed on fire in fields in full shift between PARCEY and CHOISEY,near the Airfield of Tavaux.
A witness remember the very great number of casings of Mosquito which strewed the ground around... The plane will burn all the night from the 26 to February 27, undoubtedly the Germans were they more occupied helping the occupants of the Gothas, wounded or in annoying posture, there was nothing any more to make for the crew of Zwilling...
the place of the crash landing of the second is now known with certainty.
Lw will make collect by the workmen of the Camp of Tavaux the largest remains of the 111, and especially the engines using an enormous tractor Slovaque CKD Praga T 9 (76 are built between 1937 and 1943, 16 bought by Turkey, 5 by Slovakia,55 used by Germany.)
The vehicle used to move the Large planes had probably come from the east at the same time as the unit who using Heinkel 111 Z (I/Luftlandgeschwader 2) and doubtless on board same Gigant 323 that they were charged with manouvrer on the ground...
The village of Parcey, near of the crash point and at the time the way obliged to go place of the Crash landing to the camp.
It is seen the Slovaque caterpillar in the streets of the village.
One can recognize on the trailer engines JUMO F of the plane. The recent examination of some relics confirms the fire and some casings struck among those destroyed by fire indicate that the crew made use of his weapons to defend himself until the end...

I am always with research about :
Codes and exact unit for this 111 Z,Gothas and identity of the victims.

I found nothing in Bama loss, so many datas are missed .

Thanks by advance for your help

Best Regards, Dan

Old 6th September 2006, 15:36

Stijn David is on a distinguished road
Re: 26 February 1944 He 111 Zwilling unknow ...

Hello Dan,

I think that you will need to perform the search in the direction of the Luftlande Geschwader 2 (L.L.G.2).

These where based in that area and where mainly equipped with the Go 242. It is also confirmed that a few He 111 Z where in that area and it was rather normal use to do a 2 or 3 towing of Go's.

I will check iff i can find anything on this particular date.

Cordial greetings,
Old 6th September 2006, 16:06

SMF144

Dan,

Although it doesn't answer your query, here's what I have concerning this incident that might be of some help. It's interesting to note that the He.111 Z was identified as being a He.177. This was probably due to the lack of intelligence on both airframes?

Good luck.

Stephen

2 Mosquitos VI of 418 (R.C.A.F.) Squadron took off to patrolled TOURS/DIJON/BOURGES area, destroying E/A and gliders.

2 Mosquitos VI of 418 (R.C.A.F.) Squadron piloted by F/L G.C. SCHERF (AUS), F/O C.G. FINDLAYSON, navigator, pilot F/L A.D. CLEVELAND, navigator F/Sgt. DAY, (R.A.F.) were airborne at FORD at 1120 hrs., on a DAY RANGER. A/C made landfall at PTE DE LA PERCEE, then flew on E. of TOURS/GILLY/ST. YAN. No A/C were seen airborne. F/L CLEVELAND attacked at ST. YAN A/F 1 HE.177 and F/L SCHERF attacked 2 Ju.52s parked on E. perimeter. 1 Ju.52 seen to explode, the other well alight with burning bowser in between, the He.177 was also burning fiercely. Slight L/F was experienced from W. of A/F. A/C then flew to DOLE and saw B.1/GOTHA. 2 sec burst from 200/50 yds. As the other glider was let loose F/L SCHERF gave it a 2 sec. burst and both gliders appeared to disintegrate and went straight down. F/L SCHERF went straight on and gave HE.177 a 3 sec. burst setting 2 starboard engines on fire. F/L CLEVELAND gave 6/7 sec burst hitting one of the port engines and port fuselage. As it was gliding down F/L SCHERF gave a long burst of M.G. scoring numerous strikes. It was last seen burning well on the ground. Section then set course for home and F/L CLEVELAND spotted a GOTHA 242 in middle of field near DOLE A/F and damaged it with a short burst of M.G. A/C took same course out and landed at FORD at 1950 hrs.
Old 6th September 2006, 21:23

Dan Gilberti

Yes, and thank you for the reply, the story about the battle by allieds from 418th sq is known, the canadians have a film for the attack . The confusion with another plane can explain it's difficult to found the datas about this 111 z ..
Sure, the soluce is perhaps in story for this unit, but it's not easy ...
So, i dont know how many 111 z was not destroyed in february 1944 ...
I know one other was destroyed on ground in Ulm in 1945 ...(the picture not perfect ...)
http://www.histavia21.net/Heinkel%20...willing000.JPG
Best regards, Dan