Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 22nd December 2017, 12:55
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
STORCH LOSSS JONZAC 21 Mar 44

The above from Kdo des Flughafenbereichs 5/XII was shot down by 1/Lt James Brandenburg and Capt Ken Smith of 334 FS killing Oberst Ernst Paland; does anyone have any more information on this loss?
Old 22nd December 2017, 13:17
Alter Hase

Matti Salonen will become famous soon enough
Re: STORCH LOSSS JONZAC 21 Mar 44

1944-03-21, Kdo.Fl.H.Ber. 5/XII, Fi 156 C-3, 8056, Jonzac südlich Cognac
Flugzeugführer Oberst Paland, Ernst, +
Jägerbeschuß. Bruch 100 %.

Matti
Old 22nd December 2017, 13:25
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Matti. Should have said I have a copy of the NVM which confirms what you have written & that he was buried at Cognac. Says he was on a "Tarnüberwachungsflug". Doesn't say as such that he was the pilot just "kdrt.zur Einweisung". It is also interesting to see that 2 Komp FFS B15 lost a He 111 P Wk Nr 1993 (looks like GF+AQ) at the same time to 1/Lt Albert Schlegel which crashed at St Genis with instructor Fw Dominik Faschang and two wounded and two killed
Old 23rd December 2017, 15:44
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Hi Chris/Matti

I have never come across anything called Kdo des Flughafenbereichs 5/XII before. Can you or anyone else explain to me what their job was? I have an idea, but I rather hear it from someone who knows....

I also wonder what a "Tarnüberwachungsflug" was. I know what überwachung is and of course flug, but I fail to get the meaning of tarn (invisible) in this context. A spyflight sounds a bit overdramatic....

Perhaps I should explain that I am not German speaking, but both the similarity of Swedish and German plus an internet dictionary makes life easier on my part

Merry X-mas everybody and thanks to All who has helped me out this year as all the other years I have been a Member!

Cheers
Stig
Old 23rd December 2017, 16:32
Alter Hase

Rottler will become famous soon enough

Hello Stig,

a "Tarnüberwachungsflug" is a flight for camouflage inspection.
For example the Luftwaffe monitored the effective camouflage of flak emplacements.

Regards
Leo
Old 23rd December 2017, 16:54
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Jarlevik View Post
Hi Chris/Matti

I have never come across anything called Kdo des Flughafenbereichs 5/XII before. Can you or anyone else explain to me what their job was? I have an idea, but I rather hear it from someone who knows....

Cheers
Stig
Kommando des Flughafenbereichs was usually translated by British Intelligence as Aerodrome Regional Command (abbreviated to ARC). It was responsible for maintaining the bases, not the flying units themselves.

See here for 5/XII: http://www.ww2.dk/ground/flibo/kfb/5-12.html
Old 23rd December 2017, 17:12
Alter Hase

Leo/Nick

Thanks a lot for rapid answers. I always thought Flughafen was a civil airport/airfield while Fliegerhorst was the military equivalent.
After the war broke out I guess the difference became more semantic than realistic, but still why were they not called Fliegerhorstbereich when all their sub-commands were being so designated?

I have never really bothered about Luftwaffe's ground organization in detail, so I am sorry if the question seems a bit silly

Cheers
Stig
Old 23rd December 2017, 22:17
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Stig -

Contrast Kommando Flughafenbereich and Fliegerhorstkommandantur. The latter ran, managed, administered an airfield and there were a number of different kinds. Typically these had a KStN strength of 180 to 450 officers and men depending on the type. The former commanded and administered the latter, 3 to 5 or so at a time. It was an administrative headquarters with a KStN strength of 44, mostly officers and very senior NCOs.

L.
Old 24th December 2017, 11:54
Alter Hase

Thanks Larry

Yes so I have gathered from Holm's site. But my question was really about the name itself. Why was not the administrative HQ also called Fliegerhorstbereich?
Was it because it was also administrating the civilian airports within the Reich?

It is not a really an important question. I was just curious if anyone knew?

Now back to preparing the X-mas lunch....

Cheers
Stig
Old 24th December 2017, 12:45
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Jarlevik View Post
Thanks Larry

Yes so I have gathered from Holm's site. But my question was really about the name itself. Why was not the administrative HQ also called Fliegerhorstbereich?
Was it because it was also administrating the civilian airports within the Reich?

It is not a really an important question. I was just curious if anyone knew?

Now back to preparing the X-mas lunch....

Cheers
Stig
I'd never thought about it but you're absolutely right: Flughafen translates as "flight harbour" = airport and that does suggest a civilian facility. I've no idea why they chose that name for a military command.

On the other hand, Fliegerhorst = "airman's eyrie" which seems to be more poetic than anything else!