Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Community > General

General Please use this forum to post feedback, suggestions and problems relating to 12oclockhigh.net

Old 17th October 2020, 14:48

marquis is on a distinguished road
Research aid at BA-MA

Hello, the pandemic prevents travelling thus visiting in person distant archives is out of question. As long as Bundesarchiv-Militärarchiv in Freiburg is open to public (is it today?) is there any way to access and copy files there? Their answer to an online request has been gentle but too loose, they simply cannot look into folders and files. That's why a direct access is preferred. Thank you, for more detailed informations please PM
Old 17th October 2020, 19:05

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough
Re: Research aid at BA-MA

My understanding is that you need to book up in advance for a visit. I use two researchers, one of whom is relatively new to this work. He has just been able to book a couple of days for December. Social distancing measures are in place at the Benutzersaal, hence the current reduced level of access.

If you want price and contact details for the main researcher I use, Sebastian Remus, please PM me. I can unreservedly recommend his services.
Old 18th October 2020, 14:39

Carsten Petersen is on a distinguished road

You have to book in advance (and the waiting line is rather long right now), but you can use a digital camera in the archive and make copies for free. Photo copies via Selke is rather expencive. How far from Freiburg are you living ??
Old 18th October 2020, 18:34

marquis is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the useful hints. I have a fair experience in visiting archives, whenever possible taking photos with my own camera. As I live outside Germany a trip there is unlikely in the next future due to the pandemic.
Actually I don't even know if what I'm looking for exist at BA-MA because the reply from the staff was not conclusive. I'd really appreciate a PM from someone going there soon willing for a preliminary enquire....after that I could hire a local researcher for copying.