Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation before the Second World War.

Old 25th October 2007, 23:58

gedburke3 is on a distinguished road
Pre war Hawker Hart crash in Edmonton north London

Hi all,
I wonder if anyone has any information or pictures relating to this incident. I believe it happened between 1938 and 39.
The pilot was named Morris and he was training at Hatfield at the time of the accident.
Thanks in advance for any help that may be available.
Cheers
Gerry
Old 26th October 2007, 11:11
Alter Hase

paulmcmillan
Re: Pre war Hawker Hart crash in Edmonton north London

Incident happened on Sept 4th 1938

Aircraft fell on 2 houses in Dunholme Road on a council housing estate, near Pymmes Park and was a Hawker Audax (not Hart)

Pilot Stanley Robert Morris RAFVR

On ground:

Mrs Gladys Saunders aged 39
Benjamin Saunders aged 43
Derek Saunders aged 8
Roy Saunders age 16 (died in hospital)
Edward Letch aged 20 (died in hospital)
James Letch aged 24 (died in hospital)
Jimmy Tant aged 8
John Eusden aged 35 (died in hospital)
Terence Callaghan aged 3 1/2
Dennis Callaghan aged 13
May Lavinia Callaghan aged 39 (Died Sept 8th 1938)
Doris Callaghan aged 18 (Died Sept 25th 1938)

A lot of other people were injured (around 30) as well

Morris lived at Hampstead, and had disobeyed orders to keep with 3 miles of Hatfield and avoid London, it looks like he was 'showing off' over his home town to me as he was attempting aerobatics at the time (also against orders)

Aircraft from No.1 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School, Hatfield (run by de Havilland Flying School)

Someone on here should be able to provide a serial
Old 26th October 2007, 12:47

Hi Paul,
That is a fantastic reply.
I can confirm that he had indeed flown down to London to show off to his girlfriend when the accident occured. I am friends with someone that trained at Hatfield with him and he has often retold stories about Stanley Morris. This wasn't the first time he had disobeyed orders.
Many thanks indeed.
Gerry
Old 26th October 2007, 14:29
Alter Hase

paulmcmillan

Gerry

If you supply an email address I will send you some bits and pieces. BTW interesting bit about the girlfriend, I had long suspected this, but not confirmed it... This is a common occurrence. I hope someone someday maps incidences of crashes, aerobatics and home towns... it would make an interesting figure!
Old 26th October 2007, 14:37

Hi Paul,
That would be great, I will supply you with what I know to be factual as well. My e-mail address is as follows:- gedburke3@yahoo.co.uk
Cheers
Old 27th October 2007, 14:59
dora9forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmcmillan View Post

Aircraft fell on 2 houses in Dunholme Road on a council housing estate, near Pymmes Park and was a Hawker Audax (not Hart)

On ground:

Derek Saunders aged 8
Jimmy Tant aged 8
Dennis Callaghan aged 13

Morris lived at Hampstead, and had disobeyed orders to keep with 3 miles of Hatfield and avoid London, it looks like he was 'showing off' over his home town to me as he was attempting aerobatics at the time (also against orders)

Aircraft from No.1 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School, Hatfield (run by de Havilland Flying School)

it seems such a very small plane could kill that many people.im amazed.
Gary
Old 27th October 2007, 15:00
dora9forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmcmillan View Post

On ground:

Derek Saunders aged 8
Jimmy Tant aged 8
Dennis Callaghan aged 13

it amazes me that such a small plane could kill that many on the ground.
Gary
Old 27th October 2007, 19:14
Alter Hase

paulmcmillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dora9forever View Post
it amazes me that such a small plane could kill that many on the ground.
Gary

Serial of Hawker Audax was K7381 Total additional injured was 17 and thewreck went to North Weald and was Stuck of Charge 3.1.39
Old 8th April 2009, 19:56

Pagem_j is on a distinguished road

2 seater Hawker Hart (Audax Variant)
Dunholme Road, Edmonton air crash

I was just 6 years old on the afternoon the crash occurred in the afternoon of Sunday 4 September 1938. I was in our garden less than a mile away in Winchmore Hill with my parents and I can remember seeing an aircraft in the sky above above Edmonton
Cemetery to the east of us. The engine was initially running normally, then started making a strange spluttering noise and cut out. The aircraft then fell rapidly away towards the main Cambridge Road to the east and my father said "It is going to crash". I think we heard the the engine restart, as some on the ground witnesses stated, and I seem to recall the noise of the impact as it hit the council houses.

I was quite upset at the time thus that particular event in my early childhood has remained in my mind.

A Times article of 26 September 1938 quoted the Air Ministry as saying the cause of the crash was the pilot's wilful disobedience to standing orders, regarding low flying and aerobatics over a built up area. Furthermore he was only authorised to fly within a 3 mile radius of Hatfield airfield, Edmonton was 13 miles direct flight from Hatfield. He appeared to have throttled back his engine at a height of about 1,000 and executed a dive "The carrying out of this manoeuvre was also contrary to regulations". The article goes on to say the pilot flattened out at the end of the dive and flew in level flight for some distance, before allowing the nose of the aircraft to drop. From that I assume that indicates the engine was operating normally just before the crash. Some eye witnesses near the scene of the crash, suggested that the pilot was frantically waving to warn people he was going to crash.

The general regulations as to aerobatics and flying at low levels over built up areas is then listed in the Air Ministry statement, with the comment "Strong disciplinary action" would be taken against pilots who transgressed flying regulations.

I understand the subsequent inquest resulted in the jury returning a verdict of "Accidental death" as directed by the Coroner apparently. I believe one member of the jury tried to have the inquest adjourned to await the result of the official RAF Board of Enquiry, but that attempt was brushed aside on the grounds that the details of such enquiries were never divulged.

It appears that Sergeant Morris had over-flown Highgate in North London on the morning of the very same day, contrary to instructions and his flight plan. He seems to have displayed a distinct lack of basic flying discipline, and acted irresponsibly with careless disregard for the safety of others. Idle gossip at the time intimated he was showing off to friends or a girlfriend. Whatever the loss of life on the ground was considerable, and probably attributable to it being a Sunday with people at home from work and school.

This recent article, see link below, is in error on some very minor details. Morris had over 100 hours of flying experience according to the Air Ministry, and joined the Royal Auxiliary Air force in 1937.
http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/w...c_plane_crash/

British Pathe archives has stills and a video download of their 1938 news film of this truly tragic event.
http://www.britishpathe.com/thumbnai...hword=Edmonton
Old 8th April 2009, 20:50
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

All

Perhaps irrelevant to the tragedy, but the newspaper article shows what is called a makers plate.

Is this correct? I have no experience myself of any Hawker plates, but what I have gathered Hawker did not use any true c/n on their military aircraft but rather various part plates. The main part was the fuselage and can we be certain this actually is the plate belonging to the fuselage of this Audax?

Best Regards
Stig