Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 29th April 2010, 11:37

ianatheling is on a distinguished road
Avia B.35 / Av 135 correct designation?

I have a couple of questions regarding the Czech Avia B.35/135 fighter. To begin with a slightly off (Luftwaffe) subject (and pedantic!) question, I have seen the aircraft as listed as B.35 or B-35. Does anyone know which version was actually used in contemporary documentation?

Secondly, there appears to be uncertainty regarding the 135 designation which the B.35 changed to after the third prototype and after Germany took charge of Czechoslovakia. I am aware that the Czech’s did recognise important changes in designs by this type of redesignation. However I have also read that the new code was actually an RLM designation, and the aircraft was officially designated as the Avia Av 135. It would seem likely that the aircraft would have had an RLM number. It clearly could not retain the 8-35 number since this was in use by Klemm. There had been use of 8-135, but the Blohm und Voss Ha 135 of the early 1930s had been rejected, effectively freeing up this number.

Does anyone actually have any proof as to whether or not the RLM did designate this aircraft as the Av 135?
Old 29th April 2010, 15:08
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough
Re: Avia B.35 / Av 135 correct designation?

This book will most probably answer the quesiotn: