Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 15th March 2015, 08:46
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough
Non-standard Lw codes on a CRDA Cant Z.506 in Greece

On the enclosed photo of a CRDA Cant Z.506, seen in Greece (taken from eBay), there is a Lw code I have not seen before. I believe it's a combination of the original Italian code with the WL prefix. Interesting, anyhow...

Last edited by Dénes Bernád; 8th January 2016 at 20:10.
Old 15th March 2015, 13:39

Seaplanes will become famous soon enough
Re: Non-standard Lw codes on a CRDA Cant Z.506 in Greece

Are you sure this is Greece. Most ex. Italian Z.506's were taken over by Luftwaffe after September 1943 and in Italy. The letters WL is not to be
mixed up with the pre-war Luftwaffe marking for second line aircraft. Aslo the numbers does not correspond with Werk-Nummern, MM-numbers or unit numbers known to me for this type of aircraft. This is really a mystery aircraft.
Old 15th March 2015, 15:22
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

I am relying here on what the seller says: Patras, Greece. Sorry, I cannot give any further details, but saying the large building (factory?) in the background could be identified by someone familiar with that area.

The coding is highly interesting, indeed.
Old 15th March 2015, 16:04

roncosano is on a distinguished road

The location is indeed Patras. Look at the image from Google Earth.

Regards,
Corrado
Old 15th March 2015, 21:40
Alter Hase

byron- is on a distinguished road

I know the picture, it is Patras indeed
Old 16th March 2015, 01:36

veltro is an unknown quantity at this point

Turning back to the codes, they're very interesting indeed, especially because there is at least another occurrence of such kind of codes on a Cant Z 1007 bomber seen in Bresso (Milan) in early 1944 and apparently belonging to the RACSA (Reparto Aereo Collegamento Sottosegretariato Aeronautica) of the A.N.R.

If this "WL+23-xx" pattern is coherent (and usually German things are...), it would mean that there is a type of coding that has escaped us so far...

It would be great to find other examples who could help to explain (or confound even more ) such interesting aspect.

Ferdinando D'Amico
Old 22nd March 2015, 23:27

veltro is an unknown quantity at this point

I am reviving this thread both because no one apparently had an answer about the "WL+23-xx" codes and because I have found several images (which I am attaching) and which show a repeated occurrance of what seems a similar code scheme on pre-war German aircraft.

Those planes had a code which follows the "WL+xxxx" scheme, where the "x" are letters and which in some old texts is explained as a code relative to aircraft purchased by the Luftwaffe but used in non-military context.

That this could still be valid more than five years later is a long strecht, but I wonder if the "WL+" had the same source, the "23" eventually identifying the nationality of the aircraft (blind guess, I know) and the last two numbers being the ordinal sequence of the aircraft coded, somehow along the lines of the codes used in the "Kondor Legion" planes, where the first numbers identified the type of aircraft and the second couple their ordinal number...

Like I said, I know these are guesses, but it would be interesting to have some opinions and (with some luck) some other examples of the 1944-45 codes...

Ferdinando D'Amico
Old 23rd March 2015, 02:33
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

Ferdinando, all these last five are immidiatley PRE WAR or very early War (1939-1940) period. Most of them, if not all are ex-D- registrations.

Maybe (my best two pennies) are these WL+23-xx codes (on two photos) are similar quasi-military (temporary ferry) registrations applied at overhaul or at some unit or Factorys.
Old 24th March 2015, 08:21
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Yes Ed is correct here, however I think it is quite plausible that WL still stood for Wehrmacht Luftwaffe.

We can't mix in the 1939-40 civil impressed aircraft with these much later markings. The odd thing about them is that they look like the old Italian unit markings - but they are not....

Any of our Italian or German friends who can locate more such markings?

Cheers
Stig
Old 24th March 2015, 12:28

Denniss is on a distinguished road

I would assume it's a temporary marking after capture from the Italians.
Maybe they kept this markings if used for some kind of civil service or in flight schools.
The central numeral marking is either a block number or a unit designation, the numeral marking at the end is obviously an incremental number to designate the planes in this block/group.