Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 14th May 2010, 02:30

park20 is on a distinguished road
Re: Friendly fire WWII

Brian
My father survived a friendly fire incident while on patrol at night in the Pacific.
He was one of Black Mac's killers in VMF(N)-533 ca.1945
I cannot give exact details about everything but the story is fascinating. I have a few pics of the Hellcat he brought home

would be willing to re-tell the story as best i can in an email

clay.parkhill@yahoo.com
Old 14th May 2010, 13:07
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Hi Clay

Yes please, I would be delighted to receive an account. Please contact me briancullauthor@fsmail.net

Many thanks
Brian
Old 26th May 2010, 16:59

Terry Maker is on a distinguished road

One for your book, from the archives:

"On 22/10/44, (22/11/44 according to some sources), F/O John Francis Anthony Raynes, of 148 Squadron RAF, (Special Duties – S.O.E.) "C" Flight, was flying Lysander T1456, near Udine, Italy, en route to Southern Austria, during a daylight operation from Northern Italy, when he was attacked, and shot down.

His attacker was a USAAF P-51 of 325th Fighter Group.

F/O J.F.A. Rayns, was killed, as were his passengers, described variously as three Italian agents, or two SOE decorated captains, who were agents involved in the TEMPLAR Mission."

reported in Carpetbaggers Roll of Honour. and CWGC

Terry Maker, Operation: Dark of the Moon
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/operationdarkofthemoon/

Last edited by Terry Maker; 26th May 2010 at 17:01. Reason: Adding link
Old 28th May 2010, 19:16

Jan.Safarik is on a distinguished road

Dear Brian

I don't know whether I wrote it to you but I managed to find new information to my article Nevydařená „Čajka“ which was published in REVI magazine. So far unknown Soviet pilot who shot down Vaclav Ohem over Eastern Germany was Umyarov (Умяров). I hope it will help you.

Source: Režňák, Libor: Ocelový hřebec MiG-19 a československé letectvo 1958-1972, Svět křídel, Cheb 2008.

Best regards
JAN
Old 1st June 2010, 06:50

Jan.Safarik is on a distinguished road

Soviet pilots shot down by mistake French plane Potez 540, F-A000 in Spain on 3rd December 1936. After the emergency landing the plane broke down and burned down. One of the passengers, French journalist Louis Delapree, died. The plane should have been shot down by a group of Evgenii Yefimovich Yerlikin (Евгений Ефимович Ерлыкин), some sources present pilots Nikolai Ivanovich Shmelkov (Николай Иванович Шмельков) and Georgii Nefedovich Zakharov (Георгий Нефедович Захаров)
(page 74)

The pilots of Legion Condor shot down by mistake one plane Ro.37bis on 10th December 1936, the crew Jose Company F. Bernal and Rafael Jimenes Benamu were injured.
(page 75)

Source:
# Абросов, Сергей Владимирович: Воздушная война в Испании. Хроника воздушных сражений 1936-1939 гг., Издатель: Яуза, Эксмо, 2008, ISBN: 978-5-699-25288-6. / Abrosov, S.V.: Vozdusnaja vojna v Ispanii. Chronika vozdusnych srazenij 1936-1939 gg. M., Jauza, 2008.

[ # Абросов, Сергей Владимирович: В небе Испании 1936-1939 годы, Издательство: г.Москва, без издательства, 2003, ISBN: 5-08-0040-89-0.]

Best regards
JAN
Old 2nd June 2010, 14:00

Terry Maker is on a distinguished road

Further information to my earlier post regarding F/O J.F.A.Rayns, (sometimes spelt 'Raynes') the following additional information has just come into my hands,

"The Lysander appears to have been identified by the Mustang pilot as a Henshel 123."

Terry Maker

OPERATION: Dark of the Moon
Old 19th July 2010, 23:55

FlyNavy is on a distinguished road

Brian,

here's an odd friendly fire incident, reported by Peter C. Smith in his book "Eagle's War", p. 55:

"On 4 September, passing to the South of Crete, an enemy dive-bombing attack was made on Eagle, at sunset (1900). The bombs fell very close, close enough in fact to put the dynamo out of action for lighting and supplying power to the pom-pom mounting. Consequently this weapon could not open fire for several vital minutes. An emergency call was sent to Illustrious for fighter protection and three Fulmars still in the air duly arrived and were greeted by being fired on by Eagle's AA guns! These proved so effective that the Fulmars had to land on owing to damage."

The bomber attack was, probably, not a true dive-bombing one, as the newly-operational Italian Ju.87s of 96° Gr., based in Sicily, wouldn't have the range. Bombers might have come instead from one of the Italian airfields in the Aegean.

Best regards

Claudio
Old 28th July 2010, 10:36
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road

Air-to-sea friendly attack on 15 july 1940:

German bombing sank Estonian steamer MERISAAR (2136grt), captured by U.99 on the 12th, off Queenstown. The German prize crew was rescued and made prisoners of war.

Source:
http://www.naval-history.net/xDKWW2-4007-20JUL02.htm

This thread will not die ....
Old 28th July 2010, 10:54
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Thanks Laurent

I had missed that one!!

Cheers - trust you are well

Brian

PS: Thanks also Terry, Jan and Claudio for your recent contributions - all very useful and of great interest.
Old 30th July 2010, 17:23
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road

Hi Brian,

Thansk, I am fine and hope you are too.

A new (for me) case: a He 111 of KG 3 shot down by a German ship off Netherlands on the evening of 30 July 1944

http://www.wingstovictory.nl/database/pdf/615-story.pdf

The above site is interesting as it gives many details, and will put together wartime reports. One possible problem is that they all are in their original language (here Dutch and German).