Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 16th June 2016, 09:39
Alter Hase

Johannes has a spectacular aura aboutJohannes has a spectacular aura about
Re: August Lambert II./SG 2

Hi Andrey

Generally the micro films record each Staffel's claims until late July 1942 when they generally started being entered on two daily claims sheets one East one West, however none of the SG units Staffel claims sheets have survived, moreover they didn't start their daily claims until very late, plus there are a huge number missing right at the time they started making large numbers of claims, this is proved by matching Hermann Buchner's abschüße list against the daily micro film sheets, also I have a early abschüßmeldung sheet listing Alfred Mischke's first twenty claims, something that would have been done also for Lambert........but seemingly has not come to light yet, so in truth as far as I know nobody knows really when his first claim was. I suspect there is or was a schwarm book recording these guys claims as they all flew cover for the rest of the Staffel together, but as Buchner(the only survivor) didn't seem to have it, I would say it(if it ever existed) is lost.

Kind Regards

Johannes
Old 16th June 2016, 10:44

Andrey Kuznetsov is on a distinguished road

Johannes, thank you for the detailed answer.

Kind regards,
Andrey
Old 16th June 2016, 10:51
Alter Hase

Hi Andrey

Sorry, I was having a senior moment .....it was Helmut Mischke, anyway checked his abschüßemeldung against micro film daily claims and sixteen are no the micro films...four of the 1943 ones are missing, then recorded on micro films until 8th April 1944. With Hermann Buchner it's much the same, so in all probability Lambert would have none, or very few until his first recorded on the micro films for 13th February 1944! Therefore Mischke was the senior scorer of the schwarm early on!

Kind Regards

Johannes
Old 16th June 2016, 12:31

Andrey Kuznetsov is on a distinguished road

Thank you again, Johannes!

Kind regards,
Andrey
Old 27th September 2018, 21:52
Alter Hase

knusel is on a distinguished road

Good evening Gentlemen,

I'm interested in Lambert, too.
If his last kill was his 103rd, then why is a total score of 116 so often found in (older) books ?
What was the date of his first and/or his 100. kill ?
Did he score all his kills in an Fw190 ?

Cheers,

Michael
Old 28th September 2018, 11:06
Alter Hase

Hi Michael

Regarding the often quoted score of 116 for Lambert, can't say why, have also seen 127 often for him. Could include unconfirmed or ground claims, but honestly I can't predict why. The day of his first will remain a mystery until either his flugbuch or abschüßmeldung come to light, these have either been destroyed, with a collector, or with family, often the family destroyed such items in case the were found by the Russian's. I do have an aschüßelist for a SG pilot who had 103 confirmed claims, attributed to another pilot, but I think it's fake.
Lambert being disliked by his superior would suggest envy or perhaps he was suspected of fraudulent claims, and without any evidence either way the opportunity was there as just a few guys were claiming huge amounts of Russian aircraft in a short period. Without more information on the claims the claims/Russian loses experts are unlikely to be able to really investigate this.

Kind Regards

Johannes
Old 28th September 2018, 12:04
Alter Hase

Good morning Johannes,

thanks for your answer.
Can you tell me in which choice of words it was indicated that Lambert's last kill was his 103. ?

Have a nice Friday,

Michael
Old 29th September 2018, 16:05
Alter Hase

Hi Michael

No words as such. The KBT papers of 1945 usually give a grid reference, type, time only on each days claims, however for high scoring pilots(30+) it'll give the pilots name followed by the nr in brackets i.e August Lambert(103), there are a few for Erich Hartmann with the highest numbers your ever see.

Kind Regards

Johannes
Old 1st October 2018, 10:07
Alter Hase

Good morning Johannes,

thanks for your answer.
A score of 103 drops Lambert out of Top10 of Fw190 aces.
By the way, is it justified to say that me most likely scored all his kills in an Fw190 ?

Have a good start into the new week,

Michael
Old 1st October 2018, 11:12
Alter Hase

Hi Michael

Perhaps Walter Dahl enters the top ten now, see my thread about his 1945 claims.

Regards

Johannes