Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 2nd January 2008, 15:28

Kari Lumppio is on a distinguished road
E-Bay photo from Oct 2005 a Soviet Boston with MV-3 turret

Hello!

Happy New Year for all!

This time something that came like lightning from a blue sky.

Attached below is a E-Bay photo of a Soviet Boston with Soviet MV-3 turret.

Not until today I noticed this may be a photo with really interesting background story. The plane on the photo is at a harbour as on the right there is a boat. The nose is crushed, but it should be an early model of Boston.

Is anyone able to confirm there is a number "5" on the rudder? There is something like that faintly visible on the scan. Does anyone recognize the harbour buildings? If this is what I think it could be Tallinn (Reval) or Helsinki perhaps even some other Finnish harbour like Kotka.

I have saved this E-Bay item at October 6th, 2005. Does anyone know or remember who did buy this photo? Verification of the number on the Boston rudder would need higher resolution picture.

Like I said there would be very interesting story behind this photo if it turns out to be "the plane". Perhaps the winner of the bid might also be interested of it?

Regards,
Kari
Old 2nd January 2008, 22:02

cz_raf
Re: E-Bay photo from Oct 2005 a Soviet Boston with MV-3 turret

Hi Kari,

it seems to me there is really number "5" on the rudder but that is all what I am able to tell you...

Pavel
Old 3rd January 2008, 06:39

kurlannaiskos

it's definitely an early model Boston as the 'clamshell' is visible just in front of the turret.
also, the early type carburetor intake is visible on top of the wing and the exhaust stubs lining the trailing edge of the cowling are features of the early versions.(later versions were staggered)
a very faint two-color camoflage is visible and that leads me to believe it is an ex-RAF Boston MK III or IIIA.
add to the fact that the USAAF serial number does not seem to have been painted over indicate the RAF serial should be just aft of the 55-gallon drum.
the Soviet Star seems to be in the correct size and location of an RAF roundel and not a USAAF marking
Old 3rd January 2008, 15:33

Hello!

Thanks for the replies, the research continues. Number "5" it seemed to be on the rudder indeed.

I made a search on this forum and have to thank myself - in addition to edwest for posting the link - that the E-Bay item number for the topic photo is known:

" This one seems to be a Soviet Boston:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=6214918164
It does have Soviet MG turret (MV3?) installed.

Kari"

in thread
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=2730

Is it possible to track the auction winner with the E-Bay item number? Can anyone help here?

Cheers,
Kari
Old 4th January 2008, 15:42

Hello!

E-Bay Germany responded that they cannot help with the auction winner identification. Such data is available only about 90 days after the auction is closed.

So it is up the good people here to track the present owner of this very interesting photo.

Cheers,

Kari