Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 4th December 2011, 16:34

bill norman
KüFlGr.506 and Propagandaballonen.

The 1941 KTB of KüFlGr.506 makes occasional reference to the shooting down of Propagandaballonen (propaganda balloons?) over the North Sea. Were these different from barrage balloons? If so, in what way - and what was their purpose? BN (www.billnorman.co.uk)
Old 4th December 2011, 16:54
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: KüFlGr.506 and Propagandaballonen.

There's no way air crew could mistake a barrage balloon for being anything other than a barrage balloon as then were anchored at the target being protected and almost all - German, British, American, French, etc. - were more or less the same size and shape. So I am guessing their "propaganda" balloons were either exactly that or perhaps weather balloons. A propaganda balloon usually carried leaflets that were released over the target country. I think you can find more details on this type of balloon on Google.
Old 4th December 2011, 17:41

bill norman

Thanks, Larry. I followed your advice and found an interesting article at http://www.psywar.org/psywar/reprodu.../mballoons.pdf - in case anyone else is interested. BN (www.billnorman.co.uk)
Old 5th December 2011, 07:03

MarkRS is on a distinguished road

The article has been moved to: http://www.psywar.org/pdf_mballoon.pdf

Mark
Old 5th December 2011, 17:32
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Loved the one blaming Fritz Sauckel for the industrial accidents suffered by women working the night shift in factories. Bit of a reach, and I think the Germans reading it thought so, too!