Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 1st June 2023, 20:13

Edward is on a distinguished road
Coming in Sept. from Grub Street - "Stanford Tuck: Hero of the Battle of Britain"

Stanford Tuck: Hero of the Battle of Britain - The Life of the Great Fighter Ace
(Grub Street Publishing - 29 September 2023)
by Helen Doe
224 pages - hardcover
£25.00

"The first full reappraisal of one of Britain’s great fighter aces, this book examines the truth behind Tuck’s 1956 biography, Fly for Your Life. It looks at the evidence behind the myths, checks out some of the exaggerated stories and reveals the real Stanford Tuck. In January 1942 Bob Tuck was the top-scoring British fighter ace with an official score of 29 enemy aircraft destroyed. With film-star looks he was the glamorous role model for the RAF publicity machine and an eager press and public wanting wartime heroes. He had joined the RAF in 1935 and quickly showed his excellent flying skills. In 1940 his Spitfire squadron was fighting over Dunkirk where he proved himself an expert shot. During the Battle of Britain his legendary prowess grew and he was posted to command a leaderless and demoralised squadron, this time flying Hurricanes. He continued to prove he was an outstanding fighter ace, gaining the rare distinction of three DFCs and then the DSO for his leadership.

He was shot down over France in January 1942 and imprisoned in Stalag Luft III. His room-mate was Roger Bushell, the mastermind of the Great Escape and Tuck worked with him on the committee and was to be his partner in the escape. In January 1944 however, around 20 POWs, including Tuck, were purged to a new camp. Still determined to escape, when his camp was moved out on the Long March westwards, Tuck and a Polish officer took a risky chance and made their way east to Russian forces and thence to England.

This book reveals a more complex man than the one-dimensional hero of the previous biography. Post war, he became good friends with the Luftwaffe ace, Adolf Galland, and was a key advisor with him on the film, Battle of Britain, and, often with his other friend, Douglas Bader, made many media appearances. His health suffered in later years from the impact of his war service and his imprisonment and he died aged 70 in 1987."

The Author
Helen Doe is a well-established author and historian with a PhD in history from the University of Exeter. Stanford Tuck is her second biography focusing on World War II RAF aces.

https://grubstreet.co.uk/product/stanford-tuck/
Old 2nd June 2023, 07:21

Jim Oxley is on a distinguished road
Re: Coming in Sept. from Grub Street - "Stanford Tuck: Hero of the Battle of Britain"

Will definitely keep an eye out for this one. I have Fly For Your Life, immensely enjoyable read.

ASWWIAH Member
Old 6th September 2023, 05:16

Edward is on a distinguished road
Re: Coming in Sept. from Grub Street - "Stanford Tuck: Hero of the Battle of Britain"

Wow. Publication date has been moved up to 15 September 2023.
Old 3rd October 2023, 20:18

harryurz is on a distinguished road

Has anyone read the newly published book?

If so, any thoughts or reviews?

Thanks.
Old 4th October 2023, 02:21
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryurz View Post
Has anyone read the newly published book?

If so, any thoughts or reviews?

Thanks.
Reviewed on Aviation Enthusiast Book Club very favourably.
Old 4th October 2023, 12:46

harryurz is on a distinguished road

Thanks Jukka,

I've not seen that site before, so I've joined it.

As for the Tuck book, I think I'll buy it anyway, as given I enjoyed Helen Doe's biog on her father, I suspect this one should be just as good a read.