Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 27th April 2007, 03:32

JEP311 is on a distinguished road
Have the 22 FS 36 FG book....

Have the 22 FS 36FG book that was printed in 1945 .I was looking for more information on this squadron.
I'm looking for 11 Pilots and there P-47's that flew on April 12 1945 .There's a photo of these pilots standing by a sign with 74 destroyed,19 damaged.
I have the pilots names but I'm in need of information on there P-47D.
The book has a list of P-47 with it's name,aircraft letter,crew chief but nothing on the regular pilots and a/c serial number.
Only one do I know of and that's 3T-A "Doogan" Lt. Col Kirkup
Thank you for your time Rick
Old 27th April 2007, 10:45
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
Re: Have the 22 FS 36 FG book....

Hi Rick
I can't help with your question but may I ask you one, please?

On 29 June 1944 two 22ndFS pilots, Capt Cyril Browne and 1/Lt Charles Nott, jointly shot down a V-1 flying bomb shared with a RAF Spitfire pilot from 165 Squadron. Is this mentioned in the book you have - if so, is there any detail? Also, was this the only V-1 encountered by pilots of the 22ndFS?
Hope you won't mind me asking.
Cheers
Brian
Old 27th April 2007, 16:42

JEP311 is on a distinguished road

Hi Brian,
No sir I don't mind at all.
There is a small bit .It says-
"The bombs didn't worry us very much in themselves,because we knew they weren't aimed at us,but the flak from the American anti-aircraft that was thrown up at them from batteries around the field literally covered the sky and eventually the ground.Fortunately there were no casualties,but many were given a quick lesson in religion,particularly when a few bombs were shot down near by.(Editors Note:And I do mean near by)One of these "Buzz Bombs"incidentally,can be claimed by Lt. Hudson Nott."
They also called it "Gooney" bomb in a earlier page of the book.
The book is set up like a Year book with many photo's but to small to see any detail.
No list of destroyed aircraft or other V-1's.
Capt. C.G. Browne,JR. went MIA and was from Detroit,Mich.No date of MIA in book.
Lt. Hudson Nott (later Capt.) was from Brandford,Conn.
Any other question I will try to answer but the thing about the book it has some nice photos but no captions, photo's are small.
Regards Rick
Old 27th April 2007, 17:33
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Hi Rick

Much obliged for the excerpt. If you care to advise me of your name I will duly acknowledge your help in my forthcoming book.

briancullauthor@fsmail.net

Cheers
Brian